• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Greatest Britain II (United Kingdom of Britain and Hanover)

Aznavour

Published by SLP
I can’t think of a Proper POD for this one, as the conditions for such a move aren’t there, unless one forces it with, say, extraordinary circumstances or a particularly powerful King who can force the issue.

Yet the idea appeals to me. Adding a bunch of German MPs and Lords to Parliament, another language, making the Georgian Period just that bit weirder.
152E0014-7648-4980-A9E6-C98837C16687.jpeg

I can’t think of a Proper POD for this one, as the conditions for such a move aren’t there, unless one forces it with, say, extraordinary circumstances or a particularly powerful King who can force the issue.

Yet the idea appeals to me. Adding a bunch of German MPs and Lords to Parliament, another language, making the Georgian Period just that bit weirder.
View attachment 52743
It's a curious idea, but the British government always saw Hannover as an annoyance, which might pull them into continental affairs in Germany. I can't see either Prussia or Austria accepting it at the Congress of Vienna, and I can't see the British government demanding it under any cirumstances.

I suppose an absolutist British Hanoverian monarch might try it at some point, but given that the Hanoverians were invited to the throne by Parliament, and owed their throne to the Whigs, and most of those in the country during the early 18th century which might have supported an absolutist monarch were Jacobite Tories, it would require a major shift in 18th century politics.

Back