• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

"For Want of a Nail" consequence streams (and webs)

Thande

Showers
Patreon supporter
Sea Lion Press staff
Published by SLP
For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

We're probably all familiar with that proverb, which is often quoted in relation to alternate history. Many AH scenarios certainly exploit the idea of a small initial event having huge consequences, as in the proverb; EdT uses these brilliantly in his works (especially Fight and Be Right), I used it in Look to the West, etc.

However, I find it equally fascinating to find unexpected historical connections which mean that a small initial change can result in other relatively small changes--things far more minor and less obvious than wars going a different way, etc.--but in fields which, at first glance, would seem completely unrelated to the initial change. Of course, realistically sometimes these might come with bigger changes that would override or contradict them, but you get the general idea.

A note on terminology: this is not the same as the butterfly effect, but the two are often confused by people. The butterfly effect is a notion arising from chaos theory, and ultimately from concepts of uncertainty from quantum mechanics, which basically argues that as soon as you change anything in the universe--no matter what it is--that effectively 'resets' all the random chances rolling dice in the universe. For an everyday example of this, if you set a column in Microsoft Excel or similar to produce random numbers, the programme will re-roll the dice to produce new numbers every time you edit any cell in the spreadsheet. 'Hard' AH argues that the universe is like this, so if Abe Lincoln gets run over by a steam-powered Triceratops on February 4th 1859, then on the other side of the world, the King of Siam's latest turn at the roulette wheel might turn out black, when in OTL it was red.

This is not what we are discussing here - with 'for want of a nail', all the consequences are logically connected, cause-and-effect.

Here is an example of a web of consequences which I worked up to describe the impact of the premature death of one then-obscure officer in the American Civil War, for example. Add your own, either fully developed sequences or just odd connections of this type you know of that could help one be produced collaboratively!

Forwantofanail.png

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

We're probably all familiar with that proverb, which is often quoted in relation to alternate history. Many AH scenarios certainly exploit the idea of a small initial event having huge consequences, as in the proverb; EdT uses these brilliantly in his works (especially Fight and Be Right), I used it in Look to the West, etc.

However, I find it equally fascinating to find unexpected historical connections which mean that a small initial change can result in other relatively small changes--things far more minor and less obvious than wars going a different way, etc.--but in fields which, at first glance, would seem completely unrelated to the initial change. Of course, realistically sometimes these might come with bigger changes that would override or contradict them, but you get the general idea.

A note on terminology: this is not the same as the butterfly effect, but the two are often confused by people. The butterfly effect is a notion arising from chaos theory, and ultimately from concepts of uncertainty from quantum mechanics, which basically argues that as soon as you change anything in the universe--no matter what it is--that effectively 'resets' all the random chances rolling dice in the universe. For an everyday example of this, if you set a column in Microsoft Excel or similar to produce random numbers, the programme will re-roll the dice to produce new numbers every time you edit any cell in the spreadsheet. 'Hard' AH argues that the universe is like this, so if Abe Lincoln gets run over by a steam-powered Triceratops on February 4th 1859, then on the other side of the world, the King of Siam's latest turn at the roulette wheel might turn out black, when in OTL it was red.

This is not what we are discussing here - with 'for want of a nail', all the consequences are logically connected, cause-and-effect.

Here is an example of a web of consequences which I worked up to describe the impact of the premature death of one then-obscure officer in the American Civil War, for example. Add your own, either fully developed sequences or just odd connections of this type you know of that could help one be produced collaboratively!

View attachment 213
Now that is what i call a web Thande.

How about the fact that the defeat of the Swiss at the Battle of Marignano resulted in a shift of opinion in Glarus against the Pope, itself causing Zwingli to move to Einsieden and withdraw from politics to focus on ecclesiastical doctrine?

One that I used to like to do involved Popeye; unfortunately, it turns out the oft-repeated thing about the spinach campaign being due to a misplaced decimal point in the iron content is a myth, so you can't pull it back to something as trivial as that. But the Popeye comic strip nonetheless inspired:

- Calling jeeps 'jeeps' in WW2
- The Wimpy burger chain in the UK
- The title of The Goon Show, and therefore indirectly Monty Python and essentially all other surreal British comedy
- Nintendo originally made a Popeye arcade game, and when they lost the licence they made Donkey Kong instead.

So the comic strip never catching on would have surprisingly huge cultural consequences!

Classic British political one

- Eric Joyce gets a taxi home on 22nd Feb 2012
- No Unite trickery in the CLP
- No reform of the Labour Party Electoral System
- No removal of a system which heavily favoured MPs and allowed a system where a populist candidate could take power
- No Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn

One that I used to like to do involved Popeye; unfortunately, it turns out the oft-repeated thing about the spinach campaign being due to a misplaced decimal point in the iron content is a myth, so you can't pull it back to something as trivial as that. But the Popeye comic strip nonetheless inspired:

- Calling jeeps 'jeeps' in WW2
- The Wimpy burger chain in the UK
- The title of The Goon Show, and therefore indirectly Monty Python and essentially all other surreal British comedy
- Nintendo originally made a Popeye arcade game, and when they lost the licence they made Donkey Kong instead.

So the comic strip never catching on would have surprisingly huge cultural consequences!

The character of Popeye first appeared in the comic strip Thimble Theatre which had already been running for ten years at that point. Olive Oyl and her boyfriend Ham Gravy were looking for someone who knew how to captain a boat and ran into Popeye. So a slightly different storyline at that time would mean that Popeye, Bluto and the rest of the characters didn’t end up taking over the comic strip.

I think you’d still have the Goon Show though. The Goon Show itself was broadcast under the name Crazy People for its first couple of seasons.

A fairly minor one but which fits the 'unrelated' aspect:

- Atlanta's bid for the 1996 Olympics was considered a long shot, and it could easily have gone to Athens instead because of the centenary of 1896 factor
- While working on the 1996 Olympics, two brothers named Chapman had the idea for a children's book and later web series called Homestar Runner
- This was popular enough in the early 2000s that a lot of the early tropes on tvtropes was named after quotes from it (especially as the series involved some critical analysis of nostalgic shows for humour)
- tvtropes, much to Heavy's annoyance, has gone on to influence some things written since then.

Classic British political one

- Eric Joyce gets a taxi home on 22nd Feb 2012
- No Unite trickery in the CLP
- No reform of the Labour Party Electoral System
- No removal of a system which heavily favoured MPs and allowed a system where a populist candidate could take power
- No Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn
There is a good related one about Brexit but I'm more going for subtle background changes here, rather than 'small impetus leads to big consequence'.

The character of Popeye first appeared in the comic strip Thimble Theatre which had already been running for ten years at that point. Olive Oyl and her boyfriend Ham Gravy were looking for someone who knew how to captain a boat and ran into Popeye. So a slightly different storyline at that time would mean that Popeye, Bluto and the rest of the characters didn’t end up taking over the comic strip.

I think you’d still have the Goon Show though. The Goon Show itself was broadcast under the name Crazy People for its first couple of seasons.
I knew about the backstory but not that detail, thanks.

The Goon Show might still exist but would it have become popular without that name, is I guess what I was going for.

(Spike Milligan started calling people Goons after the Popeye character when he was still in North Africa in WW2 I believe).

The Goon Show might still exist but would it have become popular without that name, is I guess what I was going for.

(Spike Milligan started calling people Goons after the Popeye character when he was still in North Africa in WW2 I believe).

It wasn't just Milligan - Prisoners of War used the term Goons to describe German prison guards.

The popularity of the show with a different name is an interesting question. The Goons wanted the name to be The Goon Show from the beginning, but higher-ups in the BBC insisted on it being called Crazy People, as a reference to the earlier Crazy Gang. Of course, Milligan being Milligan wrote the introduction of each show to be "It's Crazy People, featuring those crazy people, the Goons!" and then referred to "The Goon Show" through the rest of episode. Eventually the BBC gave in and changed the name - apparently one senior executive was later heard to say 'What is this Go On Show that people are talking about ?"

The last episode under the old title was just before the 1955 General Election. It signed off with "Next week, it's the election, featuring those crazy Goons, the People!"

The version of it from his "autobiography" (so it should be taken with a large quantity of salt) is that him and a few mates started calling themselves goons while they were behaving like, well, goons, while waiting to be deployed after basic training. The specific anecdote, IIRC, involved them running naked through some woods waving sticks around.

This is something I'm planning on examining with the Lutz Tavern history project I mentioned in The Pub a while back.

In the late 90s, the Stroh brewing company of Michigan was trying desperately to save its market share in the competitive world of American macro beers; it purchased a lot of smaller breweries but was borrowing heavily to finance these new acquisitions and just kept losing money. One of their purchases was the Blitz-Weinhard brewery in Portland. Shortly after acquiring Blitz, the overstretched Stroh collapsed and its constituent brands were bought up by Miller. In 1999, the new owners closed down the Blitz brewery and discontinued the beer. The building's picturesque shell went on to become the core of the aggressive gentrification campaign that turned Portland's northwest warehouse area into the ritzy "Pearl District" - attracting many a wealthy Californian yuppie.

The Lutz, my local bar, had been serving Blitz since the 1950s (it was the company's largest single account) and its regulars were used to the beer's low price and distinctive red, white, and blue can. Now that Blitz was off the menu permanently, the bar's owner wanted to replace it with something that would be familiar to her customers and affordable on a Social Security check or union pension. She found out that she could get a great deal on Pabst Blue Ribbon, a generic lager that had long fallen out of fashion and become known as an old man's beer - but which had a very similar can design. When the brewery closed, she replaced the Blitz with a $1 Pabst special.

The rest is history. The Lutz's $1 PBR was popular not only with the working-class neighborhood regulars but with the punks, bike messengers, and Reed College students who frequented the bar, and - aided and abetted by Pabst, who recognized the potential in the "alternative" market - suddenly became cool again nationwide, to the extent that it was an inextricable part of the hipster stereotype by the late 2000s. Today Pabst has embraced their new market and sponsors a lot of independent music and art, most notably the Project Pabst music festival series that it does every summer.

So if Stroh makes slightly better business decisions during the 1990s, we have:

- A different urban landscape in Portland

- No PBR craze

- The Pabst company itself probably gets consumed by Miller and the macro beer industry grows even more monolithic

- Lots of small changes in art and music based on what was later sponsored with PBR dollars, which could snowball into major cultural changes; this would require some more research

Oh there was an issue of the reality hopping X-Men spinoff "Exiles" where they save the world by eating a Danish pastry and somehow I remember the chain of events.

SPOILERS: Man who would've otherwise eaten pastry then gone on to have a shooting spree at work starts the spree in the bakery, which distracts Daredevil from talking down a mad scientist who then releases some kind of storm nanorobots into the air which attracts the attention of Thor who disperses them with storms but accidentally just spreads them across earth. They turn the atmosphere cloudy for a few weeks. This puts of Deathbird (or whatever her name is, Lilandra's evil sister) from conquering Earth and making it her pleasure planet.

Last edited:
@Meadow what was your one of one person winning a small by-election that could've then lead all the way to Corbyn and Brexit
Is that the "Eric Joyce decides to go home" one?

IRRC: Joyce avoids the punch-up in the Commons bar, no Falkirk by-election, no accusations of Len McCluskey and the like practising entryism, no Ed trying to look less in thrall to the unions, no change in leadership voting rules, Labour maintains the electoral college, no Corbyn.

Is that the "Eric Joyce decides to go home" one?

IRRC: Joyce avoids the punch-up in the Commons bar, no Falkirk by-election, no accusations of Len McCluskey and the like practising entryism, no Ed trying to look less in thrall to the unions, no change in leadership voting rules, Labour maintains the electoral college, no Corbyn.

Oh its the one @Milo mentioned. Whoops, my bad.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread! But, actually, I do have a tank-related one that's more cultural, I just need to think it out a bit

Indeed, I didn't bring that one up above because I was more interested in 'unexpected, but minor and cultural, consequences' rather than big geopolitical stuff.
I suppose the PoD I used for Let Them Talk has a few.

Hugh Laurie doesn't contract glandular fever while at Cambridge. This means he stays in the Light Blue First Eight, and continues rowing at Olympic standard. Now, this doesn't necessarily result in Laurie going to the Olympics. But, seeing as his father did so, there's a damned good chance.

What is indisputable, however, is that he's not going to wander down to a Footlights audition out of boredom. No Fry and Laurie. No Prince George and Lieutenant George. How does this affect Blackadder? The careers of Atkinson and Robinson? No Jeeves and Wooster adaptations - does this affect early internet seach engines? I always felt that Ask Jeeves was very much inspired by Fry's portrayal. Moreover, without Jeeves, is Fry guaranteed to be the man behind the desk of QI? Huge effects on Fry's career. Where does he go without Laurie? Who fills the comedic void? Fry and somebody else? A dfferent double act?

Who fills the film, television and radio roles of OTL's Laurie? Does a different comedian (potentially US), or a random UK actor become the leading man on a smash US serial detailing the life and pills of a grumpy diagnostic expert?

So, one man catching an illness had sizeable effects on show business, and very large ones on the UK sitcom scene. Moreover, it's feasible to argue that the sporting world saw minor changes: specifically the sport of rowing, but the UK Olympic revival was built from the success of Redgrave and Pinsent. If that success comes early, is the growth of Team GB aborted? Jump-started? Who knows?

Back