• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Fiction Friction: Beloved Characters That Nearly Weren't

But my favorite is the Amazing Maurice, who went from a punchline in Reaper Man to being the title star in his own novel.

The rat religion is the third time IIRC that Pterry did an all-ages where  we know the religion is a big misunderstanding of something mundane but what's important is the nomes/ScreeWee/rats believe it.

Of course, this depends on the publisher. One I write for requires a very detailed plot summary before accepting a pitch. So detailed that there's never any plot surprises for the author. And if one drifts from the plot summary, then the publisher sends it back to be corrected.

That's writing for pay rather than fun.

Ah, you see I only send off to publishers once I have completed the book, so by then there are no surprises for me or the publisher, though it does not mean they will not ask for alterations. They seem particularly ambivalent about what they feel is excessive/inadequate world building.

In early drafts of Star Wars, Princess Leia had two brothers, called Biggs and Windy. Just imagine that we’ve missed a series of novels about Windy Organa.
This is the most monstrous dystopia in the entirety of our multiverse, Baron von Heenan.

Alderaan is a peaceful planet, interested only in finding export markets for its beans and dried apricots.
Ah yes, the Kenobi: Special Edition, where they added 68 minutes of additional footage dedicated to Alderaanian agriculture exports.

Ah yes, the Kenobi: Special Edition, where they added 68 minutes of additional footage dedicated to Alderaanian agriculture exports.
The reviews were interesting:

"An uplifting experience..." Film critic Radon Koslowski of the Phoenix Herald
"I was blown away... several times over..." J. Henry Windsworth of the Sydney Tribune
"Lets hear it for fermentation..." Professor SK Warner of the Orange Agricultural College

Back