• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Doctor Who Unbound: Doctor of War

Not listened to this series yet but definitely intrigues me. Unbound was always my favourite Big Finish spin-off range and I have always been frustrated by the paucity of its entries.

Only thing I might say that causes an aside glance is casting C. Baker. Though I don't doubt he does an excellent job the fun with alternate Doctors has always been seeing alternate actors. As opposed to old Docs, new problems.

Maybe that's just the aforementioned paucity. I'm sure if we had Unbound as a semi-regular series I'd be camping at the bit if they announced a series featuring the Bakers, Davison, McCoy and McGann as their Doctors in ATL stories.

I've actually similar feelings to RTD bringing back Tennant in this way, truth be told.

Only thing I might say that causes an aside glance is casting C. Baker. Though I don't doubt he does an excellent job the fun with alternate Doctors has always been seeing alternate actors. As opposed to old Docs, new problems.

I did hear the BBC got leery about non-TV Doctors being cast once the show came back, though dunno if true or not

Big Finish have really made use of Beever's Master considering he was only in one story on the show!

Ironically they only started with Beevers because Anthony Ainley was a bit of a dick when he was approached by them in the early days. Apparently wanted more money than any of the Doctors AND script-approval. Gary Russell has says elsewhere that the former wasn’t the biggest issue but the idea of spending all of the time and money on a script for Ainley to turn it down on a whim wasn’t something him or the company was willing to entertain. A loss as we could have had more Ainley but the gains through Beevers have more than made up for it.

I did hear the BBC got leery about non-TV Doctors being cast once the show came back, though dunno if true or not

Nick Briggs confirmed this to be the case on one of the Big Finish Podcast’s earlier in the year when the second (I think?) set came out. I’ve heard the story from him and Jason Haigh-Ellery at Chicago TARDIS in years before, too. Makes me wonder if someone considered for Nine or Ten on some long-list was an Unbound Doctor and we never knew it.

Ironically they only started with Beevers because Anthony Ainley was a bit of a dick when he was approached by them in the early days. Apparently wanted more money than any of the Doctors AND script-approval. Gary Russell has says elsewhere that the former wasn’t the biggest issue but the idea of spending all of the time and money on a script for Ainley to turn it down on a whim wasn’t something him or the company was willing to entertain. A loss as we could have had more Ainley but the gains through Beevers have more than made up for it.

The Downtime book on the Wilderness Years mentions Ainley agreeing provisionally to be in BBV "Koschei" audios before his death, I wonder if he had similar demands for them or downscaled it?

The Downtime book on the Wilderness Years mentions Ainley agreeing provisionally to be in BBV "Koschei" audios before his death, I wonder if he had similar demands for them or downscaled it?

I can imagine BBV would be far more "We'll give you script approval but you really think we can pay you in anything more than sausage rolls and handshakes?"

That is interesting (and reminds me that I really need to read that book at some point). I would be curious to know the timing of Ainley’s provisional agreement and if it was after the stuff with Big Finish. I could see Ainley and BBV both doing it as a way to get back at Big Finish for perceived slights. Though @RyanF makes a good point as even then the money wasn’t great at BBV.

Bet they let Disney do a What If? animated series using the concept.
Only tangentially related, but fifteen years ago I used to advocate that they make an animated Doctor Who where they retell the stories of the classic serials in a more accessible format for the then-new yoof fans, portrayed as them literally being told as stories by the current Doctor to his companions to pass the time during a tense moment. Of course, the moment for that sort of thing has probably passed now, the new fans have either left or have become curious enough to investigate the serials themselves.

(I know they have done animated reimaginings of some of the lost episodes, but that's not what I meant).

I agree that the final episode was a bit rushed. Big Finish had revisited the Key To Time with the Fifth Doctor in the monthly series, and took three episodes to do it, and that was only really telling half the story.

Still, there was a nice fourth wall break at the end of the episode.

Nick Briggs confirmed this to be the case on one of the Big Finish Podcast’s earlier in the year when the second (I think?) set came out. I’ve heard the story from him and Jason Haigh-Ellery at Chicago TARDIS in years before, too. Makes me wonder if someone considered for Nine or Ten on some long-list was an Unbound Doctor and we never knew it.

They have transported David Warner’s Doctor to the Bernie Summerfield series, but I guess that he got grandfathered in.

Back