• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

de Valera Establishes an Irish Monarchy

Oppo

Pronouns
he/him
o06kbo4bc2s01.png

Could de Valera create a unique Irish monarchy through the O’Donnell family? I’d image that there would be some opposition to this, but de Valera would have a lot of political capital. Later on, could it also have an impact on Irish-Spanish relations?

I mean the Irish Republic was of some significance to the Irish Republican movement and the Nationalists and I think Dev mentioned being keen on the idea whilst in prison after proclaiming it.

o06kbo4bc2s01.png

Could de Valera create a unique Irish monarchy through the O’Donnell family? I’d image that there would be some opposition to this, but de Valera would have a lot of political capital. Later on, could it also have an impact on Irish-Spanish relations?
Would they get Northern Ireland with a Irish monarchy, also are the people of Ireland not fed up with a monarchy who ruled over them for 700 years.

If de Valera had tried it, it'd nobble his career and possibly Fianna Fail with it unless they give him the boot ASAP - the Irish will not go for a monarchy in the 30s. (The IRA would probably get a big boost out of the very concept, able to go "see the so-called Free State doesn't want to become a republic at all".) How much that affects Ireland depends on whether his replacement would do much different when WW2 is going to happen (if this attempted restoration is when he's taoiseach, it's 1938 at earliest).

I have heard that De Valera wanted to appoint the Pope - not a specific Pope, but whoever the occupant of the throne was at a given time - as President of Ireland, and the highest elected position would be Vice-President, who would be responsible for actually running the country in the name of the Pope. He was talked down from it. He was very, very, very devilish.

I have heard that De Valera wanted to appoint the Pope - not a specific Pope, but whoever the occupant of the throne was at a given time - as President of Ireland, and the highest elected position would be Vice-President, who would be responsible for actually running the country in the name of the Pope. He was talked down from it. He was very, very, very devilish.
Wasn’t de Valera opposed to having Catholicism as the state religion?

Does anyone know when the Irish national movement became inexorably bound up with republicanism? After the Easter Rising, I think an Irish monarchy would be horrendously unpopular, but with a proper PoD before then, it's another question. I'm not sure how far back we'd need to go, though.

Does anyone know when the Irish national movement became inexorably bound up with republicanism? After the Easter Rising, I think an Irish monarchy would be horrendously unpopular, but with a proper PoD before then, it's another question. I'm not sure how far back we'd need to go, though.

The Society of United Irishmen?

Depends on what you mean by "irish national movement." Diehard Fenians? Mid-19th century. The broad mass of pro-independence Irish, let alone merely Home Rule people? IN the aftermath of the excessive British reaction to the Easter Rising in 1916.

Back