• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Chilean Polynesia

Ricardolindo

Was there any way for Chile to have colonized more of Polynesia other than Easter Island? Could they have beaten the French to colonizing French Polynesia?

European exploration of the southern Pacific from the XVIIIth century onward pretty much set an expectation for regional colonisation as an apparatus for great powers, either as scientific, but as well religious affairs : protection of Catholic and Protestant missions played a very large role in setting up protectorates and occupations. Chile at this point will come likely too late and too weakly to really stand among great powers.

On the other hand, having Spain being much more able to project its naval and political power in the region and much earlier than IOTL, maybe there could be part of Polynesia being very theoritically linked to the Vice-Royalty of Peru (and eventually an independent Chile) that great powers would be content to nominally respect up to a point as a modus vivendi to avoid having a great power effectively controlling it?

I have to second the above, the most likely case is Spanish colonization remaining attached to its South American colonies.

But I'm not sure how likely that is, it's starting to be pretty distant and they might try to administer it from their position in the Pacific in the Philippines instead of their American position, especially if they're used as part of the route from America to Asia along the equatorial currents.

I have to second the above, the most likely case is Spanish colonization remaining attached to its South American colonies.

But I'm not sure how likely that is, it's starting to be pretty distant and they might try to administer it from their position in the Pacific in the Philippines instead of their American position, especially if they're used as part of the route from America to Asia along the equatorial currents.
Eastern Polynesia is pretty far from the Philippines, too, and the Philippines were attached to Mexico.

Eastern Polynesia is pretty far from the Philippines, too, and the Philippines were attached to Mexico.
Well yes, but the Philippines were part of a trade route, as the last Spanish controlled port before trading with China. If polynesia gets folded into that route it's likely Mexico will muscle in on it too.

Back