• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Capitalist Albania during the Cold War

Ricardolindo

Let's say Nazi Germany is less successful in coopting the Balli Kombëtar and they end up liberating Albania.
1. Would Albania have become a constitutional monarchy or a republic?
2. How would Albania develop without communism?
3. What would happen to Kosovo? In our timeline, it was liberated by Albanian Partisans but they gave it to the Yugoslav Partisans believing they would return it.

I'd assume a non-communist Albania, now right on the border between capitalist and communist Europe, tries to join NATO as soon as it exists.
I could see two outcomes of this type of scenario;
1). A Non-Communist Albania probably leads to Tito still being buddy/buddy with Stalin, though I get the sense that Tito will still go about forging his own path.

2). Expect Greece to even more of a blood bath as Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union would prefer not to have another Anti-Communist nation in the area.

The bunkers certainly won't exist with no Hoxha.

While Hoxha's megalomanical bunkers will be butterflied, I can definitely see a state right on the borders of east and west having considerably fortified borders. It either joins NATO, or if that's politically impossible due to some deal, goes the Austria/Finland route.

While Hoxha's megalomanical bunkers will be butterflied, I can definitely see a state right on the borders of east and west having considerably fortified borders. It either joins NATO, or if that's politically impossible due to some deal, goes the Austria/Finland route.
The neighbor being Yugoslavia or Greece if it goes to the eastern bloc?

I'd assume a non-communist Albania, now right on the border between capitalist and communist Europe, tries to join NATO as soon as it exists.

Dunno, it could take the Finland route.

Feels like they should just for the memes. Bunkers to protect against a supposed communist invasion?

I didn't know about them.

Dunno, it could take the Finland route.

Feels like they should just for the memes. Bunkers to protect against a supposed communist invasion?

There is no need for such a deal. Stalin didn't plan either Yugoslavia or Albania as part of the Soviet sphere of influence.

Stalin's multiple attempts to have Tito assassinated certainly make fears to the contrary viable.
Expanding upon this, I feel from about 1944/45 to about 1948, Stalin was content with Tito doing what Tito wanted.

I would say the failure of the Greek Communists to win the Greek Civil War (which is under discussed on its effects for the Cold War) caused Stalin to change tack, which is what lead to Tito creating Titoism and purging Stalinists from Government.

I would definitely say that if there’s a Capitalist Albania from the Get go, then I would suspect that Tito would probably be killed/purged, because now something even worse than Greece being Capitalist exists.

Expanding upon this, I feel from about 1944/45 to about 1948, Stalin was content with Tito doing what Tito wanted.

I would say the failure of the Greek Communists to win the Greek Civil War (which is under discussed on its effects for the Cold War) caused Stalin to change tack, which is what lead to Tito creating Titoism and purging Stalinists from Government.

I would definitely say that if there’s a Capitalist Albania from the Get go, then I would suspect that Tito would probably be killed/purged, because now something even worse than Greece being Capitalist exists.
Tito being killed or purged, well it wasn't for want of trying, like Castro he had a tight local grip and wasn't going to be shuffled off (whether this mortal coil or to managing a mattress factory in Macedonia) in a hurry. More likely eventuality, Tito stays in charge but falls out with Stalin earlier.

As a Muslim majority European country, could Albania play a diplomatic role, maybe as a mediador between the Western world and the Arab world?

2). Expect Greece to even more of a blood bath as Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union would prefer not to have another Anti-Communist nation in the area.

How do you interpret Yugoslav and Soviet policy toward the Greek Civil War in OTL (and Bulgarian and Albanian policy), and how and why do you see it differing in this ATL?

I would say the failure of the Greek Communists to win the Greek Civil War (which is under discussed on its effects for the Cold War) caused Stalin to change tack,
Stalin expected them to win or not? And he changed tack? From what to what?
which is what lead to Tito creating Titoism and purging Stalinists from Government.
How so?

OK, quite a bit to unpack here. There's clearly many more gears turning and lightbulbs flashing your brain leading to this than are getting explained in writing on the page.

OK, quite a bit to unpack here. There's clearly many more gears turning and lightbulbs flashing your brain leading to this than are getting explained in writing on the page.
Moderator post:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for clarification on a point, but this is an unnecessarily condescending way of going about it. Please try to conduct yourself in a more civil manner when continuing this discussion, as well as in future ones.

Thank you.

Greece and Albania are probably going to have as tense a relationship as Greece and Turkey IOTL, mainly over Northern Epirus. How that crisis gets resolved would determine how things go (hopefully not as another Cyprus).

Moderator post:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for clarification on a point, but this is an unnecessarily condescending way of going about it. Please try to conduct yourself in a more civil manner when continuing this discussion, as well as in future ones.

Thank you.

You are absolutely correct. I was asking for a clarification, and would still love to hear one, but I am not entitled to one. Further, I expressed myself in a condescending and jerk-ish way. I am sorry for talking to you that way @Time Enough, and any snark or sarcasm, or plain old silence I got in response from you would be only fair.

I also apologize to our moderator for worsening the tone and civility level of the thread and forum, and will communicate with more civility and consideration.

Back