• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Can Austria-Hungary actually survive?

This is a bit of a strongly worded question but really I was asking if anyone knows of a scenario where, with a post-1867 POD, Austria-Hungary survives either to the present day or at least until the end of the 20th century. It strikes me that it probably is possible but I've not seen a good TL that addresses this in depth. (I'm sure I've just missed them.)

Have Franz Joseph die in 1907. The Ausgleich could break up that year, but with Russia being too weak as a result of its 1905-1906 revolution, it won't be able to militarily intervene during this time. So, Franz Ferdinand and the Germans get to subdue Hungary and impose a new political order on it, similar to what the US did in the ex-Confederacy during Reconstruction. Then, have Franz Ferdinand get enough sense to implement the United States of Greater Austria plan:

This should at least give Austria-Hungary a chance of survival up to the present-day. :)

Back