• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Bromley goes Lib Dem = Gordon goes for it?

RobinCarmody

In 2007 Neil Clark - most of whose opinions I strongly disagree with, btw - was commissioned by the Guardian (actually, probably his mate Seumas Milne) to write one of the perennial "if there had been a 1978 election" pieces when it looked like Gordon Brown would call the first election off the spring/early summer cycle since October 1974 (which kept going through my mind first when the snap election in 2017 was called, and then when we *did* have an election off that cycle very recently). He ended with the following words: "it's a sobering thought that had Jim Callaghan simply done what everyone expected him to do on that September day 29 years ago, 'Thatcherism' is a word the world would never have heard of". We could, I think, say something similar about the word "Brexit" now in the context of the 2007 counterfactual which has become its latterday equivalent.

One PoD that keeps playing on my mind is the fact that, in the summer of 2007, the Lib Dems almost won Bromley in a by-election, with its usual victors the Conservatives only just scraping home. Bromley, I should explain, is a solidly Conservative suburban area which is officially in Greater London since 1965 but remains spiritually in Kent, right down to its selective education system. Its council has been Tory-controlled in all but one election (High Blair 1998, when I believe the Tories were still the largest party but didn't have overall control) since it became a London borough, it brought the case that saw an end to Ken Livingstone's cheap bus fares policy in the early 1980s, and seemingly did quite a lot of pushing for the abolition of the GLC. Most symbolically of all, it was Harold Macmillan's seat when he was PM, so embodies the One Nation myth, the Land of Lost Content. For this historic reason its loss would have been bigger, especially after the Conservatives had been out of power for a decade, than many of the similar seats which had fallen earlier (and in some cases - Wimbledon going back from Labour to the Tories in 2005, Guildford likewise from the Lib Dems - already had been won back under Michael Howard's leadership). It would have had huge power to be used against the fraudulent arguments we're so used to now from the New Etonians that they are in the true One Nation tradition. In all likelihood, the Lib Dems *would* have won it had some of the constituency's disheartened Labour minority not been feeling relatively optimistic about Blair finally going and someone perceived as more in the party's tradition replacing him.

So if Bromley had fallen, would that have been the catalyst that pushed Gordon Brown into going all out for an autumn 2007 election, that convinced him that Cameron was weak and there for the taking? (Note also that an MP defected from the Tories to Labour that summer; I cannot now recall his name, and that was in OTL.) I think it is overwhelmingly likely. And then what? The main problem with the idea of such a government responding to the changed economic climate post-2008 is, of course, what Brown previously had been associated with and still was linked with in the public mind (not to mention that he is said to have talked Blair into leaving rail privatisation essentially untouched). But if he had been able to recover something deeper in his soul ...

Alright, leave aside the specific POD. Let's ask more broadly: could Gordon have won a 2007 election?
Probably,but given that the reason he didn’t hold an early election was because Labour was nearly bankrupt in terms of finance,you could theoretically see the party shut down for a while due to not being able to pay activists after a 2007 election and The Conservatives being even more dominant in the 2010’s.

That would be an excellent timeline- convince Brown that some donors are coming through, so he calls the election. He wins, and let's say that he even increases his majority a little by convincing the public that with the exit of Blair he actually represents a new moment or what have you.

Then you have the Tories in another crisis after losing four elections in a row which Labour can't address because those donors never came through and now they're bankrupt too.

That would be an excellent timeline- convince Brown that some donors are coming through, so he calls the election. He wins, and let's say that he even increases his majority a little by convincing the public that with the exit of Blair he actually represents a new moment or what have you.

Then you have the Tories in another crisis after losing four elections in a row which Labour can't address because those donors never came through and now they're bankrupt too.
Ironically,Labour could win another election in a row due to the Olympics and Diamond Jubilee and also because Britain sorta recovered and that brief economic respite and what not,but can’t in this scenario because,well,they’re out of money and are forced to declare bankruptcy and shut down the party by court order.

Combined with the Conservatives also going bankrupt (or at least that’s how I understood from your phrasing),the 2012 General Election and everything after it would be chaotic as fuck,with Hung Parliaments being a permanent thing.

Tbf I think the tories over the last year have had a huge cash flow problem and once they won a majority, they just kind of stopped worrying about it on the basis that it's five more years until you really need to campaign again. It might well be the same for Labour in this scenario.

Depending on if you mean actually bankrupt bankrupt as opposed to just being extremely short of cash and having to make swinging cuts that puts Brown in a rather bad position as IIRC Labour's NEC members are personally liable for any party debts.

The interesting thing about Bromley is that the LibDems didn't actually realise they were that close, whilst a strong effort was made (I went down from the Midlands twice and Mr Farridge bought me a pint), it wasn't a full on call to arms. Had we realised, we might just have been able to get ourselves over the line. The problem was the perennial Team Pantone one, not enough door knocking.

Aside from that

Soz, but if you're going to make a thread with a big first post around a by-election going another way, but fail to realise it actually took place in another year to the one you're basing your divergence on, hoooo.

It's been ages since I looked at the bottled election, but I recall that like Callaghan in 78 the team were very wary about what the internal polling showed. I don't think Brown would increase his majority - but given how the 2010 election went, after Brown's and the government's standing had been collapsing every week for nearly three years, I don't think the Tories are going to break through.

I get the feeling that Brown would win on a reduced majority - possibly quite a small one. Cameron would stay on - I guess his reputational standing would depend on how the campaign goes as much as the seat advance, and that's hard to predict. There's 2017 possibilities emerging from a Brown snappy, though.

The Tories would obviously 'win' in 2012 - most of what we saw from 2008 onwards would play out similarly - but I think like OTL it would be a very anaemic result. They'd be starting from a higher seat base, OTOH Cameron would have seven years of being leader of the opposition behind him, and that's a hell of a lot of wear and tear. I can see both UKIP and the Lib Dems doing well given how far into the post-Blair zeitgeist that is - I've thought for years that even by 2010, Cameron was the guy who we needed to fight the last war.

An interesting and plausible one might be the Lib Dems going into coalition with Labour after Brown wins the most seats but wipes the majority.

"Brown wins with a smaller majority than expected, then OH NO THE RECESSION and Tories win in 2012" is the most plausible, but the interesting points of:

- If Cameron remained leader of the Tories, he's going to be quite worn out and have a lot of baggage

- Labour was running low on cash and the Tories might be as well

would make for an entertaining mess (to read about rather than live through). Extra points if Clegg's Lib Dems are in a strong position but not needed for a coalition, but can then start to cut deals for votes when the Tories fray*. And, of course, Labour's going to be exhausted and who's going to take over in 2012, and with what plans, and how can they do it?

* You could see some policies that we got OTL happening, but they're seen as the Lib Dems getting one over on the Tories

Back