• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

British Madeira

Ricardolindo

During the Napoleonic Wars, the UK occupied Madeira and planned to annex it but eventually decided to return it to Portugal. What would have been the effects they had annexed it? First, I think Portugal would have been pissed off. Second, I suspect something like the Quebec Act would have been passed to accommodate Madeira's Catholic population.

Interesting, I've never heard of any plans to annex it before. British sources tend to describe it as a relatively amicable thing, with the British stationed there as allies of Portugal rather than as occupiers. Portuguese sources obviously see it different which is I suppose to be suspected, Britain was at the time the worst possible ally. I've never quite got over the 1794 incident where a british ship in lisbon on a diplomatic mission just impressed the violinists from lisbon opera house so they could play for the sailors abroad their ships without any permission or apology.

During the 19th century Madeira was effectively run by the great British Madeira wine trading families like the Blandys and Leacocks so I don't think that either Madeira or the UK would have been massively different. Unless of course a Madeira Act meant earlier Catholic Emancipation around say 1825? Portugal would probably have been pissed unless there had been some sort of swap - cessation of Demerara to Brazil? Land cessation to Goa (or Diu or Karikal) in India? A Portuguese Galicia at Vienna?

Last edited:
During the 19th century Madeira was effectively run by the great British Madeira wine trading families like the Blandys and Leacocks so I don't think that either Madeira or the UK would have been massively different. Unless of course a Madeira Act meant earlier Catholic Emancipation around say 1825? Portugal would probably have been pissed unless there had been some sort of swap - cessation of Demerara to Brazil? Land cessation to Goa (or Diu or Karikal) in India? A Portuguese Galicia at Vienna?
Considering that for all purposes, Madeira was a settlement colony, it would be extremely difficult for Portugal to accept a British annexation. A Portuguese Galicia might avoid a complete breakdown in relations, but large land cessations in distant colonies would not be felt as a balancing compensation.

Back