• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Book Nook: Lest Darkness Fall

Two armies wearing mail encounter each other. They slash away at each other for a bit, don't penetrate each others mail, then stand around looking embarassed until the Renaissance.
And also what are spears and pikes.

I read this, donkeys years ago, but nothing stuck! I also have 'The Incomplete Enchanter', which I believe to be the source for the basic concept in Heinlein's 'Number of the Beast.' It isn't AH, but a fun read.

"Sir, what if instead of slashing and hacking the enemy with our swords we stick them with the pointy end?"

"Get your mind out of the gutter, Flavius!"

Ok that was fun, and I haven't even read the book. But the future tech as difficult, not always successful sounds like a more solid take than some.

Look, it's got a pointy end. Why give it a pointy end if it's not going to be used?
Very very funny

Obligatory Game of Thrones Season 1 reference.
Really want to read this at some point, I enjoyed his "The Wheels of If" (which is arguably even more of an AH work, if less influential perhaps).
That's a great work. Very readable, nice adventure story, I really enjoyed it and what felt like fairly complex world building. Also liked Turtledove's sequel.

Back