• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Book Nook: Agent Lavender, by Tom Black and Jack Tindale.

It's a delightful book.

One of my two (2) interactions with Roem was running into him at the Polish vodka bar near LSE in 2014 or so and pestering him to finish, which was rather rude in hindsight.
That sort of interaction is annoying online but (not to speak for Roem) I think getting it in person can be a trigger for an author to get back in gear, because it really brings home how invested an audience is in a work. It's easy to slip into impostor syndrome and think nobody cares.

Does anyone in contemporary Britain believe that Wilson was actually a spy?

I ask because I think the last time we discussed Agent Lavender on here I compared it to Hail, Caesar! and mentioned that I think Lavender works better, in part because it is harder to accidentally read it as an endorsement of the conspiracy theory y'all were playing with.

WI x conspiracy theory was true is a potentially fruitful and fun vein of POD ideas but I think it works best when the theory in question is uncommon and not currently being circulated. "WI JFK was killed by the CIA" would make the author come off as a believer with an axe to grind, "WI John Wilkes Booth escaped with the help of a conspiracy and became a 20th century sideshow mummy" could be very entertaining.

Does anyone in contemporary Britain believe that Wilson was actually a spy?
Depends what you mean by 'anyone'; you can probably find at least one person in Britain who thinks Harold Wilson was a holographic projection of a Martian made of marshmallows who was grown by Lord Lucan in a vat in Atlantis. To answer more seriously, the Wilson-as-spy theory is certainly far from mainstream anymore (not that it ever was), but you can probably still find some number of older people who still genuinely think it, just not many.

Depends what you mean by 'anyone'; you can probably find at least one person in Britain who thinks Harold Wilson was a holographic projection of a Martian made of marshmallows who was grown by Lord Lucan in a vat in Atlantis. To answer more seriously, the Wilson-as-spy theory is certainly far from mainstream anymore (not that it ever was), but you can probably still find some number of older people who still genuinely think it, just not many.
Yes, this. There's plenty of older people who think he was a wrong'un and 'shifty' and, particularly in the context of his defence cuts, will unironically say they aren't sure where his loyalties were. But full-blown 'he's in the pay of Moscow' stuff was present at the time of his being PM - while still fringe - but has died away since then, in large part (I assume) because stuff like Spycatcher exposed the degree of investigation that took place, and turned up nothing, and since then we've had a lot more 30 year rule declassification and something would've slipped out by now.

Depends what you mean by 'anyone'; you can probably find at least one person in Britain who thinks Harold Wilson was a holographic projection of a Martian made of marshmallows who was grown by Lord Lucan in a vat in Atlantis.
Oh don't be ridiculous everyone knows that was Callaghan!

Will say, in the context of the Cold War, it would make basically the entire situation far more frosty, especially since in the end scene, we see the Soviets openly celebrate the man. That would make negotiating with them at all to be a incredibly fraught affair as well, if their willing to put an Agent in Ten Downing, what aren’t they prepared to do?

There was that claim that Corbyn was an Agent Lavender for Prague and the general response was "pbbbbbt yeah right", though that would be less fun a story because Corbyn Is A Secret Commie is too close to real attacks and Wilson Is A Commie is a claim most people now find absurd.

There was that claim that Corbyn was an Agent Lavender for Prague and the general response was "pbbbbbt yeah right", though that would be less fun a story because Corbyn Is A Secret Commie is too close to real attacks and Wilson Is A Commie is a claim most people now find absurd.
That doesn't make sense, Prague was almost stereotypically good at running agents, they wouldn't pick someone as 'obvious' as Corbyn. Obviously Corbyn would be a CIA plant if anything by that logic.

Back