• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Biaggi’s Second Opium Den

my version of those canadian made tls where everything sucks and nothing happens

1989-1993: Michael Dukakis (D-MA) / Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX)
1988 def. George Bush (R-TX) / Dan Quayle (R-IN)
1993-2001: John McCain (R-AZ) / Kay Orr (R-NE)
1992 def. Michael Dukakis (D-MA) / Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX)
1996 def. Zell Miller (D-GA) / John Marty (D-MN), Paul Tsongas (I-MA) / Colin Powell (I-NY)
2001-2009: Larry Echo Hawk (D-ID) / Jim Cooper (D-TN)
2000 def. Kay Orr (R-NE) / Jim Gilmore (R-VA), Ron Paul (I-TX) / Mike Gravel (I-AK)
2004 def. Tommy Thompson (R-WI) / Kenny Guinn (R-NV)
2009-2013: Dave Bing (D-MI) / Jim Hodges (D-SC)
2008 def. John Andrews (R-CO) / Rudy Giuliani (R-NY)
2013-0000: Stuart Stevens (R-MS) / Trent Franks (R-CO)
2012 def. Dave Bing (D-MI) / Jim Hodges (D-SC)
2016 def. Jim Hodges (D-SC) / Scott Matherson (D-UT)
My favorite trope ong

every early 2000s blazers team was an inescapable tragedy that all needs their own jon bois video

You could also describe it as the bourgeois and the proletariat against the lumpenproletariat. Especially the culture wars are really like that, with especially the likes of Vance trying to double down on it.

nah. the GOP is very representative of small landholders, the petite bourgeoisie, and owner operators. the idea that the Republicans have a mass base of reactionary proletarians who vote for them is largely mythical, the left is still representative of everything u can assign as large capital to proletarians and what could be described as "the lumpen". blue collar, white collar and yellow collar (service workers, this term is used very rarely) alike, even after education polarization.

grr i hate the populist movement

Just as in the anti-imperialism of the League, the settler-Afrikan coalition of the Populists had nothing to do with any real unity of settlers with the oppressed. Rather, these poor but still-privileged settlers were tactically maneuvering to improve their position relative to the monopoly capitalists - and recruiting Afrikans to give their settler party a boost. Historian Michael Rogin points out: "Populism, however, was a movement of the farmowning proprietors, not property-less workers. It attempted to reassert local community control against the economic and political centralization of corporate capital ..."
-J. Sakai, Settlers

1893-1897: Grover Cleveland (Democratic)
1892 def. (with Adlai Stevenson I) Benjamin Harrison (Republican), William “Buffalo Bill” Cody (Populist)
1897-1905: Benjamin Tillman (Democratic)
1896 def. (with David Hill) [backed by Populist] Thomas Reed (Republican / Bourbon Democratic Organization)
1900 def. (with Adlai Stevenson I) Levi Morton (Republican)

1905-0000: Robert E. Lewis (Republican)
1904 def. (with Henry Clay Evans) Adlai Stevenson I (Democratic), William Randolph (Independence), Henry George (Labor)

Benjamin Tillman’s Cultural Revolution: A History of the New West

Back