• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An Alternate History of Horror XVIII: Onryō

Forgive me for calling it 'The Ring' in the sershal meedja posts @RyanF, I know that's not strictly accurate for the original version but All Things Serve the Algorithm.
Just be thankful you didn't have to proofread between Ringu, Ring, The Ring, and Rings like poor @David Flin.
The Host gets a lot of mileage out of US-Korean relations, how the heck did they plan to adapt  that?
You really think that aspect didn't go completely over the heads of anyone who saw the film and thought it needed an American remake? This is the era of Chris Evans as Kaneda, after all.

You really think that aspect didn't go completely over the heads of anyone who saw the film and thought it needed an American remake? This is the era of Chris Evans as Kaneda, after all.
At the time I remember doing a joke about them doing A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court except, several Hollywood-mandated rewrites later, they change the setting to be smalltown America.

At the time I remember doing a joke about them doing A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court except, several Hollywood-mandated rewrites later, they change the setting to be smalltown America.

A Connecticut Yankee in Arthur King's Diner

Hang on there's a Christmas Hallmark film there

And I would just like to reiterate, whilst all this was going on there existed a Korean horror film that was set in Vietnam during the Vietnam War and even featured American characters yet never seems to have got a look in for an American remake!

Since I properly got back into animé, I must admit that my own views on dubbing has softened. To a certain extent, it is a lot like translation itself, where a good translation can actually add something meaningful, without necessarily saying that it’s better than the original. Just good in a different way. Certainly there have been a great many examples of dubs of animés that have had highly dedicated production teams. I have yet to come across an example of a live action dub that I feel is worth watching in its own right, but I am now lo longer convinced that such works cannot exist.

I must as a final note comment that I am deeply perplexed by the way dubbing works here in Germany. When English language films hit the cinemas, the cinemas offer two options: you can either watch the films dubbed into German, or you can watch it in English without German subtitles. Which leaves me a bit… “are you actively trying to discourage people from learning English?”

Back