• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate papal conclave logistics

Coiler

Connoisseur of the Miscellaneous
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
Semi silly questions I had regarding papal conclaves in unusual circumstances, and wondering if people know about formal plans (assuming they existed)

1. Pius dies in World War II, especially if it's before the recapture of Rome by the Allies. Was there a specific contingency plan?
  2. If the Vatican is destroyed by a nuclear strike that kills the pope in a non-apocalyptic war, where the replacement conclave would be held.

During the sede vacante the College of Cardinals assumes the role of Church governance. It seems they also set the rules for the papal conclave. There is a maximum period that the College can wait before the process must commence and the process seems to be specific as to the location, but perhaps those rules can be waived. There would be some precedent for that, at least within Russian Orthodoxy.

The Russian Orthodox Church was ruled by the Most Holy Synod for almost 200 years until Tikhon of Moscow was chosen as Patriarch in 1917, just before the Russian Revolution. As the Russian Civil War unfolded and the communists gained power he gave the churches outside of Russia autonomy so that they would be able to survive even if the Orthodox Church in Russia was suppressed.

The closest historic example I could find was the 1799 conclave being held in Venice because of the French invasion of Rome.

That example has the answer.

Pope Pius VI issued a decree stating that the papal conclave would be held in the city with the greatest number of cardinals if unable to meet in Rome. After his death in 1799 the College of Cardinals held the conclave in Venice because Rome was occupied by the French and it was unable to meet there. The Cardinal Secretary of State was imprisoned in Rome so they also had to elect a Pro-Secretary, essentially an acting Secretary of State. The papal tiaras were also under French control so a paper mache one decorated with donated jewels was used for the papal coronation, but it actually became a popular choice in its own right because of its light weight.

So in the event of a non-apocalyptic nuclear war, the conclave is whichever catholic nation had the most cardinals and the least bombings. (Which I assume would be one of the larger countries in Latin America? Unless being the larger one gets them a "while I'm at it--" nuking and then it's one of the medium-sized ones)

So in the event of a non-apocalyptic nuclear war, the conclave is whichever catholic nation had the most cardinals and the least bombings. (Which I assume would be one of the larger countries in Latin America? Unless being the larger one gets them a "while I'm at it--" nuking and then it's one of the medium-sized ones)

The Catholic Church has historically given Italy very disproportionately high representation. Even now it has more cardinals and more cardinal electors than any other country. I highly doubt that Brazil, Mexico, and the Philippines have a smaller Catholic population than Italy.

The Catholic Church has historically given Italy very disproportionately high representation. Even now it has more cardinals and more cardinal electors than any other country. I highly doubt that Brazil, Mexico, and the Philippines have a smaller Catholic population than Italy.

So the boring answer would be "in the most prominent and least damaged Italian city."

So the boring answer would be "in the most prominent and least damaged Italian city."

The most likely location and candidate is going to be a European, particularly an Italian. France and Spain were traditionally second to Italy (the Austrians and Germans coming afterwards), but it's still not even close.

The United States has more cardinals in recent times but there is also something of an unofficial rule that an American can never be elected Pope because the United States is already such a prominent country. Cardinals also must be physically present to participate, so without rapid travel candidates from outside Europe just aren't viable.

Back