• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History: M,N,O

I guess the big thing with OTL Is Unrealistic is in fiction, we see all the setup and foreshadowing and important people, and in real life we don't at the time. In fiction we'd see some setup that a main character who is always nice is really a sexual predator, IRL we're never present for that so you just randomly see it on the news

I guess the big thing with OTL Is Unrealistic is in fiction, we see all the setup and foreshadowing and important people, and in real life we don't at the time. In fiction we'd see some setup that a main character who is always nice is really a sexual predator, IRL we're never present for that so you just randomly see it on the news

My mind still goes back from time to time to sitting in the couch in my pyjamas around noon on New Year's Eve, watching news of the new millennium having arrived already in Australia and parts of Asia, and all of a sudden, it's mentioned that Yeltsin has resigned, and we are treated to him sitting there behind the desk looking haggard, sad, very tired and weak, and Yeltsin was one of those world leaders at the time that I knew about. I was entirely unaware of who Jacques Chirac or Tony Blair or Gerhard Schröder were, but I knew Boris Yeltsin, because, every time he was on TV he just appeared t be a lovably kooky drunk, so I was rather surprised by what I was seeing. Then it was mentioned that someone called Putin would be taking over, and one of the anchors went "So who is Vladimir Putin?" with the other going, "Well Putin is-..."

It seems like such a moment that happens in the background in some other series. A foreshadowing of things to come.

I've not seen that @Alex Richards map before, brilliant parody of the loopy Yorkshire map going around t'internet.

Yeah it was very much going for that style.

I was particularly pleased with the 'we refuse to accept that the 1968 Act could change the borders of Durham. Creating a merged county of Durham and Richmondshire in the 1968 Act is fine however.' angle.

WRT nuclear weapons, I've found the most common occurrence of them in Fuldapocalyptic fiction is being used in a limited fashion (ie Hackett). Red Storm Rising is actually an anamoly in that it's one of the few where they're never used.

Lists... they're good for a start, but if you want to make them long, they tend to get confusing. (30 entries may not feel like too much for you, but what about 100?) And if they aren't about a familiar topic, it might be hard to find out what's important and what's not.

I tried to resume it a few times but we all get the joke by now. It’s more fun to imagine how it would present things.

The original planned ending was for him to get banned for saying Trump would win in 2016.
Given the mood among the polityanks on AH.Com he'd probably still get banned for saying Trump would win in 2016 if he did so in 2017.

Reading this and the interview with @Alex Richards today just have to say if there's ever a coffee table book of AH maps there would be at least one willing buyer.
I had thought while reading the interview that this would be an interesting project.

There's honestly two different issues here:

1. Rights. You've either got to drill down to a few people and do it essentially as a collection of mini portfolios, or you can try and do large scale submissions and then either pay people ahead of time (and run the risk of a substantial loss) or do very large splits on things.

2. Costs. Like you're looking at basically the most expensive type of book you can produce here- a big chunky thing in full colour, lots of glossy images and so on. Which means it's going to be a lot to produce and a lot to buy at the end of it.

Like I absolutely wish the guys over at Atlas Altera the very best in their endeavours, but $95 is very much aiming for the high end of the market, and that's just for a wall map poster- I'm expecting the atlas itself to be several hundred quid if and when it ever comes out.

Oh and I hadn't realised it was finished at the time, but Upvoteanthology and Noravea over on AH.Com have produced this (separately hosted) epic of a full atlas from a Communist America - though as it's very much a gazeteer so there's a very high text-to-map content there.

Back