• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 20: Voyager Fails to Land

I am inordinately proud of the obscure pun in the title about "The 37's" being delayed to season 2.

Also here are those VHS covers I mentioned from Blockbuster - they really left a lasting bad impression on me that these were the first four episodes after the pilot. And I forgot to even mention that inane moment in "Parallax" where Janeway and B'Elanna both yell 'warp particles!' (?) at the same time, which felt like a rather lazy parody of TNG.

1670235369375.png

I enjoyed the article.

Its strange how as a child I quite liked Voyager. I think possibly because it was the first Star Trek series I saw released semi-live in the UK (inevitably years after it was out in the US, as was the fashion until the internet made this non-viable as people would just pirate it, even if it took about 24 hours to download a 40 minute episode). A slightly older cousin was really into DS9 (which possibly got me into star trek in general) - but getting into that when they were years in seemed difficult. TNG (and TOS) were fine - but also clearly happened quite some time ago.

But now compared with TNG and DS9 its just an Enterprise-esque void. I am always left wondering how on earth it got to 7 seasons.
Going to be interesting to see later seasons where I go "oh yeah" episode by episode.

But now compared with TNG and DS9 its just an Enterprise-esque void. I am always left wondering how on earth it got to 7 seasons.
Going to be interesting to see later seasons where I go "oh yeah" episode by episode.
My dad doubted it would make it to 7 seasons after watching the aforementioned Blockbuster VHSes, and I sometimes also wonder why he wasn't right.

I saw the early BBC showings too so I remember liking Voyager then. And then I watched another episode years later, oh dear.

Probably the most frustrating thing about Voyager are the glimpses we got of the program it could have been, "Year of Hell" commonly being cited (despite the incongruity of being a well-regarded episode despite having one of the biggest reset buttons they ever did) but also plenty of things early on.

Seska, Jonas and Sudar are all mentioned in the article and all were recurring characters that seem like they should be in the other version of Voyager from as prominent Maquis crewmembers who chafe under Starfleet. So too should there have been recurring characters on the Starfleet side (like Carey I believe was one for an episode or two) who really, really dislike working with the Maquis.

Did not know about the original plans for "The 37's". An interesting, though flawed concept, and reminiscent in some ways of how the Stargate franchise accounts for humans being found throughout the galaxy. Speaking of Stargate, despite differences in execution I always count "The Thaw" as one of those Star Trek/Stargate recycled plots since it bears some similarities to "The Gamekeeper" of SG1.

My dad doubted it would make it to 7 seasons after watching the aforementioned Blockbuster VHSes, and I sometimes also wonder why he wasn't right.
Jeri Ryan saved a lot more than Barack Obama's political career.

Speaking of Stargate, despite differences in execution I always count "The Thaw" as one of those Star Trek/Stargate recycled plots since it bears some similarities to "The Gamekeeper" of SG1.
Interesting; that SG-1 episode certainly also feels very TOS in character, but I'd say they're thematically different enough that they didn't leap out to me as that similar (in "The Thaw" for once it's the villain who gets faked out with 'you thought you'd escaped'! - just like the second Moriarty episode on reflection). My main memory of the SG-1 one is Reg Barclay running away from our heroes near the end with his cloak dramatically swept around him in a way that slightly spoilt the suspension of disbelief.

Back