• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History in Star Trek: Introduction

One thing probably worth remembering as well is that while by the 1990s the Nazi economic system had been pretty thoroughly torn to shreds, I think a lot of the archival research and writing on that topic hadn't yet been done in the 1960s- so at the time of TOS the idea of the Nazis as being this horrifyingly competent and efficient force of evil was still quite prevalent.

One thing probably worth remembering as well is that while by the 1990s the Nazi economic system had been pretty thoroughly torn to shreds, I think a lot of the archival research and writing on that topic hadn't yet been done in the 1960s- so at the time of TOS the idea of the Nazis as being this horrifyingly competent and efficient force of evil was still quite prevalent.
Oh certainly that's the Doylist argument for it - I was just pointing out that the criticisms people made in the 1990s were themselves a bit naive in assuming people couldn't still be deluded enough to believe that.

Also thanks to Gary for adding in all the links to other articles I referenced.

Back