• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

All we need is a really catchy person for the unlikely PM.

How about anthologies based around political AH in different decades of the latter half of the 20th century and potentially more? Can crib a song title evocative of the decade - Blue Monday: Alternate Histories of the 80s?

How about anthologies based around political AH in different decades of the latter half of the 20th century and potentially more? Can crib a song title evocative of the decade - Blue Monday: Alternate Histories of the 80s?

When The Party's Over: Alternate Histories of the 2010s

There's a forthcoming Priti Patel one.

Lord Protector Priti Patel, And Other Things That Did Not Happen

One type of story that I'd think would and could be applied to alternate history more is the classic "big family saga"-style novel. I can see why it hasn't (there isn't much overlap between self-proclaimed AH and much of who'd write them) but it's still disappointing.

(In fact, such a story is one of the many ideas bouncing around in my head).

One type of story that I'd think would and could be applied to alternate history more is the classic "big family saga"-style novel. I can see why it hasn't (there isn't much overlap between self-proclaimed AH and much of who'd write them) but it's still disappointing.

Malê Rising is kind of that.

One of the cleverest things about it is the way he humanizes the various factions by having members of the main family live and fight with them.

What, you mean like a tale that follows multiple generations of the one family through history but instead an alternate history?

What, you mean like a tale that follows multiple generations of the one family through history but instead an alternate history?

Basically, yeah.

You could argue that TL-191 of all things (by sticking with a narrative and a long timeline, even a parallel-filled one) is one of the closest examples.

It does seem a really obvious thing to do, doesn't it? And then you skip a lot of the dull bits or the "how did you get there then" bits - "ah well, the anarchists MUST have overrun Egypt because here's the daughter running for the last boat out of Luxor"
Does The Years of Rice and Salt arguably count, with its reincarnated souls going through era after era?

I'm wondering what the third most popular alternate history is, after Axis and Confederate victories.

Back