• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC: Wank Cool Britannia

Oppo

Pronouns
he/him
In the 1990s, the cultural period of “Cool Britannia” began, but by the millennium, the phrase had all but died out. So, how the 1990s be made into this image for a much longer period both culturally and potentially even politically (given the association of Tony Blair with Cool Britannia’s image)?

You have the events the wrong way round-butterfly 9/11 and then avoid Iraq. The latter being tricky, unless maybe a few cooler heads prevail or Saddam's government falls on its own and a Generic Authoritarian junta takes power or a real democratic government somehow.

You have the events the wrong way round-butterfly 9/11 and then avoid Iraq. The latter being tricky, unless maybe a few cooler heads prevail or Saddam's government falls on its own and a Generic Authoritarian junta takes power or a real democratic government somehow.

Overthrowing Iraq was pretty much inevitable even without 9/11, since the Pentagon was just waiting for an excuse, but you could do it using the Wolfowitz plan of encouraging a Shiite rebellion in the south and Kurdish rebellion in the North and avoid the need for large-scale occupation. An assistance mission is pretty much going to be necessary if Saddam falls but it wouldn't be as massively unpopular as the actual occupation was.

Overthrowing Iraq was pretty much inevitable even without 9/11, since the Pentagon was just waiting for an excuse, but you could do it using the Wolfowitz plan of encouraging a Shiite rebellion in the south and Kurdish rebellion in the North and avoid the need for large-scale occupation. An assistance mission is pretty much going to be necessary if Saddam falls but it wouldn't be as massively unpopular as the actual occupation was.

Yea, that's why I mentioned having Saddam fall independently.

Arguably OTL probably represents the best success for Cool Britanni, especially in targeting the United States - the reason the phrase died out is it because it was so successful that it no longer needed a label.

Cool Britannia had already faded by the turn of the Millennium and it had certainly disappeared by 2003. It was a mid-nineties thing, Britpop, the Word, alcopops, lads and ladettes, Euro 1996 and fuck knows what else I've forgotten. I mean... you could have even seen that from the Wikipedia article. Congrats all for completely irrelevantly making this an Iraq thread though!

In the same way that the Spice Girls probably gave it a fading coda until the end of the millennium it wouldn't otherwise have had I do genuinely think the best route is to have a band come out of Britpop which makes it Yugggge. I was also going to suggest that you get a One Direction analogue twenty years early but I really don't know enough about Boybands. Take That I'm guessing never made it 'over there' in part because the US was already well-stocked with boybands around this time.

It's inexorably bound up in the cult of youth, the bright young things who grew up in the 80s getting famous and into positions where they develop a distillation of 60s through 80s pop and art into a snazzy semi new thing.

I suspect the death knell is Tony Blair coopting it quite so effectively and making it part of the establishment. Part of its schtick was defining itself as not needing the establishment.

Cool Britannia had already faded by the turn of the Millennium and it had certainly disappeared by 2003. It was a mid-nineties thing, Britpop, the Word, alcopops, lads and ladettes, Euro 1996 and fuck knows what else I've forgotten. I mean... you could have even seen that from the Wikipedia article. Congrats all for completely irrelevantly making this an Iraq thread though!

In the same way that the Spice Girls probably gave it a fading coda until the end of the millennium it wouldn't otherwise have had I do genuinely think the best route is to have a band come out of Britpop which makes it Yugggge. I was also going to suggest that you get a One Direction analogue twenty years early but I really don't know enough about Boybands. Take That I'm guessing never made it 'over there' in part because the US was already well-stocked with boybands around this time.

I don't really know anything about One Direction but all the boy bands in the U.S. in the late 90's were manufactured by the same pedophile out of Florida, Lou Pearlman. It wouldn't be a stretch for Pearlman to be inspired by British stuff and find a couple nubile young Ganymedes in England to make a male version of the Spice Girls. Of course, for every NSYNC that he created he also created an O-Town which no one ever heard of again, but it wouldn't be crazy to imagine this happening.

I don't really know anything about One Direction but all the boy bands in the U.S. in the late 90's were manufactured by the same pedophile out of Florida, Lou Pearlman. It wouldn't be a stretch for Pearlman to be inspired by British stuff and find a couple nubile young Ganymedes in England to make a male version of the Spice Girls. Of course, for every NSYNC that he created he also created an O-Town which no one ever heard of again, but it wouldn't be crazy to imagine this happening.

Let me tell you about Simon Cowell.

Back