• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC: SDP-style split in the 1950s/1960s?

Techdread

Somewhere between a Bevanite & a Bennite
Through the late 1940s and early 1950s whilst the Labour Party was still in government, the party started to undergo a major ideological civil war between the left-wing Bevanites and the social democratic right-wing Gaitskellites. A notable example of this is Bevan's resignation as Minister of Labour over Gaitskell's 1951 introduction of prescription charges for dental care and spectacles. The battle within Labour continued and only seemed to worsen through the 1950s, though the moderate Gaitskellites managed to hold the sway more often than not; although the Bevanites were successful in having the party adopt a policy of unilateral nuclear disarmament in 1960, it was undone the following year by the Gaitskellites.

My question/challenge is whether the civil war within Labour could have become so terrible that it would result in a split, either from the left or the right, during this time period. Whilst I don't think it likely with many of the party's elder figures remember the situation of the National Government & National Labour, what would have needed to happen for this to take place?

[QUOTE="Techdread, post: 129983, member:] Whilst I don't think it likely with many of the party's elder figures remember the situation of the National Government & National Labour, what would have needed to happen for this to take place?[/QUOTE]

perhaps a longer period in opposition?

Last edited:
Bevan avoided expulsion by one vote due to a rather improbable series of events - that going the other way would probably be a major step on the road to a left split.

Back