• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Africa During the Scramble: The Reality behind 'The Woman King'

Discuss this Article here.

This one is for @ForceA1
I'm sorry but you're wrong, Viola Davis should not have a scene where she fires a machine gun whilst jumping.

She should instead have a scene where she dual-wields both of Dahomey's two Maxim guns, with their tripods, filled water jackets, ammunition boxes still attached whilst jumping (don't ask me how that is physically possible when the Maxim guns have spade grips, that isn't my problem, let the director figure that out).

Last edited:
He'd hoped instead for an alliance with the British in Lagos, making promises in an 1890 letter to reduce the human sacrifices and forced labour within the Kingdom to purely convicted criminals. This was a line Dahomean Kings had been using on the British for decades ever since they worked that as an absolute monarch you could just make anyone a convicted criminal.
I see the American prison system is not the first to realise this loophole.

Why is it for @ForceA1?

@ForceA1 is likewise a big fan of the Kingdom of Dahomey and regularly talks about them. He almost certainly knows more than I do about this topic and so I doubt anything here was a surprise but I hope he enjoyed another article about a time and place we both find fascinating.

@ForceA1 is likewise a big fan of the Kingdom of Dahomey and regularly talks about them. He almost certainly knows more than I do about this topic and so I doubt anything here was a surprise but I hope he enjoyed another article about a time and place we both find fascinating.
I absolutely don't know more than you about Dahomey, pretty everything I know about the country comes from reading your articles (and the discussions on them in this forum).

Last edited:
Back