• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. V

WI: Joe Kennedy Jr. Lives?

Yeah. I go back and forth here. Part of me imagines Jack going in another direction, as @TheKennedyMachine imagines, but also there's plenty of reason to believe he would pursue a political career anyway. In no small part because of the ideological differences he had with his brother.
  2. V

WI: Joe Kennedy Jr. Lives?

A few paths for us to go down in considering the lore that is Joe Kennedy, Jr. was meant to be the successful Kennedy. I think the AH community and the broader actual historical community have started to come around to the idea that Joe Kennedy Jr. was maybe not as well-suited for politics as...
  3. V

First in the Nation - Arizona?

Another outcome -- it does not take long for this to have an immediate impact: 1976. Carter relied on Iowa, where, let's face it, he was almost a perfect candidate to launch his campaign, then he moved quickly to NH, where he'd also been working hard, to capitalize on that momentum. If the...
  4. V

WI: no Hilary 2016 run

Booker and Gillibrand also run, and 2016 was a more favorable year for them than 2020. Obviously both struggled in 2020, but in 2016, the idea of a woman nominee was still novel and there was excitement around it and Gillibrand would capture that. Klobuchar runs too but I think she would...
  5. V

Alternate Supreme Courts Thread

What is your thinking behind Kagan getting GOP support? She got less than Sotomayor did IOTL. Because she is not a judge, there's no way of knowing that she's a moderate and is instead perceived as more partisan. TBH, I don't know much about Kearse's ideology. Was she centrist? It says she was...
  6. V

Alternate Supreme Courts Thread

I think your assessment here is right, but I would say that Souter being deferential and saying "I hate DC, but you actually need to be home with John" probably has the slight edge. It's plausible to me that we see the 2005 double opening happening at the same time. My thinking here is Kerry...
  7. V

The Orthogonian Society

Oh no I just took it as a sign to came out AC a bit more since the thought popped in my head and then I came on here and saw your post
  8. V

The Orthogonian Society

This is spooky because I just thought about “American Caesar” today and jotted some notes down
  9. V

WI Roosevelt does not become NY governor in '28?

This is interesting. Are you suggesting that Smith might push Moses to be the nominee in ‘28? Or that, after someone else loses ‘28, Smith might work to put Moses into the NY Governor’s Mansion in 1930, thereby installing an ally in the spot ahead of his own ‘32 campaign. When Smith fizzles in...
  10. V

This is a good point, too. Part of the fun here I forgot about is that many of the top contenders were destined to not complete two full terms. So, of course, their running mate becomes interesting…
  11. V

That's another good name... His foreign policy also gets interesting given the lead-up to WWII, but it seems likely to me that almost any stand-in for Roosevelt does not run in 1940, right? As an aside, a little more attention on Thomas Gore on these sites would not be a bad thing. Of course...
  12. V

I was hoping to get a little discussion going about what might happen if Franklin Roosevelt had passed on the 1928 New York gubernatorial election, as he initially had wanted to do. First, the POD: Jean Edward Smith, in his biography of Roosevelt, spends a few pages on the pressure FDR faced...
  13. V

Alternate Wikibox Thread

1984 United States presidential election The 1984 United States presidential election was the 50th quadrennial presidential election. It was held on Tuesday, November 6, 1984. Democratic former vice president Walter Mondale defeated Republican incumbent President Richard Lugar, winning 327...
  14. V

WI: Bush Sr. Wins in 1992

Wasn’t DOMA momentum due at least in part to Clinton trying to push gay servicemen serving openly and the subsequent passage of DADT? without that bringing the argument up I’m not confident we get DOMA
  15. V

Would Gore invade Iraq had he won in 2000?

@Wolfram they’re begging you
  16. V

John Kerry wins in 2004?

It will be really interesting to see what a Republican majority lets happen here, and I’m not sure there’s a good way to tell. There has never been a situation in the post-Nixon era where a GOP Senate majority confirmed a Democratic appointee to replace a Republican appointee on the Court...
  17. V

Barry Goldwater runs in 1968, not in 1964.

Is your basic question what if Goldwater is robbed the nomination in 64 and tries again in 68? If so, it’s hard to do but William Scranton works well here
  18. V

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Probably... or Lamar Alexander
  19. V

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Casey very nearly ran IOTL. His campaign would have been centered on his opposition to abortion rights. That mostly motivates him to run ITTL, too, but a generally more disastrous Clinton presidency leads some primary voters to channel their angst into Casey -- an imperfect vessel.
  20. V

Alternate Wikibox Thread

can't decide if I was too generous to Casey here or not...
Back