• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by rfmcdonald

1. R

A Communist, non-hermit, North Korea

That is my assumption, honestly.
  2. R

Alternatively, WI you avoid the Korean War altogether? Without the devastation of that war and later radicalization, maybe you could have a more nornal country.
  3. R

Indeed. The problem of how to make a Communism viable in a middle-income area verging on high-income status was one that never got solved.
  4. R

Effect of an Independent Hungary on the Crimean War

It is not clear to me that an Austria so notably reduced would be capable of going to war against a neighbour, at least not successfully. I am also curious about how Hungary survived versus Russia.
  5. R

AH Challenge: No African-American 20th century 'Great Migration' north and west

I once played with the idea of avoiding a Great Migration by having black people in the South get locked down in serfdom-like conditions. Not sure, now, how that would work. Beyond that, I think a relative lack of immigration restrictions would work, by allowing previous migration flows from...
  6. R

None of those countries, though, were autarkic. All of them were deeply embedded in different alliance structures. Even an East Germany that had much the most disappointing performance of the four countries you name was still a world trading owner. North Korea happened to be run by nationalist...
  7. R

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

As for transplanted Australasia, this TL might actually be one where CANZUK makes sense with a relatively continuous band of British and British-controlled territories extending across the North Atlantic.
  8. R

What if ASBs antipodally swap the hemispheres for Australasia and Iberia in the 1890s, or in the 1930s?

Both Spain and Portugal will find themselves in a relatively stronger position versus their Pacific holdings, although it is open to question what sort of Spanish-Filipino relationship you could make. Cuba is likely to split away from the Spanish empire, while Puerto Rico is anyone's guess. I...
  9. R

The problem with this scenario is that unlike Communist Vietnam, which did reunify the country, or the People's Republic, which unified the entire country save for an island, the DPRK did not reunify Korea under its rule. That demonstrable failure is just the sort of thing that I think would...
  10. R

ASB Scenario- All Islands ISOTed to a 'Virgin Earth'

I mean, there are a lot of islands. Is Manhattan taken? Is the Hochelaga archipelago on the St. Lawrence, which hosts Montréal and most of its conurbation, included? Is there a minimum size?
  11. R

What if an early European Coal and Steel Community is set up in 1919?

The idea that lands populated by Germans could be kept from Germany by an upstart Czech state was unpopular enough. (There was also a small Silesian territory that was directly ceded by Germany to Czechoslovakia.)
  12. R

What if an early European Coal and Steel Community is set up in 1919?

The critical problem with this precocious scheme for European integration, as much as I think it could have produced much better outcomes than OTL, is that Germany was still a revisionist power. It was able to tolerate its losses to France and Belgium and Denmark, but its losses to Poland...
  13. R

Ceausescu Lives On Scenarios

That makes sense, especially with Romania next door as a deeply negative example. Could this be a TL where Yugoslavia just.manages to survive?
  14. R

Japanese Taiwan from 1874

Is this a TL that, paradoxically, sees Japan's growth limited, with an expensive Taiwan keeping Japan out of continental Asia?