• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Polyphemus

1. P

US Loses in Spanish-American War

Germany did do a little perfunctory saber-rattling at the beginning of tensions but nothing really came of it. Maybe a little added diplomatic pressure from European power, a few more banana peels in the already poor mobilization.
  2. P

US Loses in Spanish-American War

I feel like reversing the outcome of a war is pretty basic AH, but I can't recall seeing this particular question ever floated before. Suppose Spain successfully defends its colonial holdings from the US- I don't pretend to be a military expert so I'm afraid I don't have a specific POD in...
  3. P

AHC/ WI: American Gendarmerie

What if rather than the often labyrinthine system of municipal, county, and state police agencies the United States adopted a single federal service for policing? A designated uniformed branch responsible for everything from routine patrol and traffic all the way up to investigating serious...
  4. P

The Las Vegas of the Plains

Hot Springs was my first thought, actually.
  5. P

I agree it has to be a smaller town at first.. Maybe Galena, IL? Already established as a resort town for Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit. Maybe, like Atlantic City, it falls on hard times and reinvents itself by legalizing gambling.
  6. P

In broad terms, Las Vegas serves the West Coast and Atlantic City serves the East Coast. What are some possible candidates for a similar resort town for the Midwest and Upper South? With all the trappings of those two cities: legalized gambling, glamorous high-rise hotels, major entertainment...
  7. P

WI: 'Japanese-Ethiopian Friendship Treaty' allowed to happen?

If Italy still invades Ethiopia in 1935, would this be enough of a wedge to completely sour the growing relationship between what would eventually become the Axis powers?
  8. P

East German Combat Troops in Africa

Oh that's a weird coincidence.
  9. P

East German Combat Troops in Africa

Over the course of the Cold War, up to 4000 East German military advisors were dispatched to various Soviet aligned countries in Africa, most notably Angola, Mozambique, and Ethiopia. Suppose East Germany, like Cuba, escalates their involvement in Angola or Ethiopia and sends actual combat...
  10. P

Least favorite alt-history story?

Also how the reparations for a war which kills thousands of people with chemical weapons are a whopping $1 million.
  11. P

I especially like how he apparently builds entire factories in a single day to create "many computer stuff".
  12. P

I have not been on AH.com for several years.

I have not been on AH.com for several years.
  13. P

Yeah, the American right can't decide if their current preferred boogeymen are a dangerously well-organized army of fanatics or a bunch of limp-wristed effeminate femboys who won't last a second in a fight. Or both at once, Schrodinger's antifa.
  14. P

President Buddy Cianci

Oof, that was an unfortunate typo on my part. Meant to write 1992.
  15. P

President Buddy Cianci

Let's assume Providence mayor Buddy Cianci manages to avoid or cover up the scandals of his career and lives up to the early hopes of the Republicans by becoming governor of Rhode Island and a player on a national level. He is groomed as Reagan's heir and serves as VP in Bush Sr's place...