• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by d32123

1. D

The US gets British Columbia

As for American Columbia, regardless of how it enters I think it would be a lot less populated than OTL. I used to live in Bellingham, and there was a visible difference in the level of development once you crossed onto the Canadian side of the Fraser Valley. It'd be significantly smaller than...
  2. D

I don't think it was ever very likely. Not to mention that by that time the British Columbians and Canadians were pretty committed to reaching a deal of their own. For British Columbian elites, the benefit of becoming Canada's/the British Empire's North American Pacific port were always going...
  3. D

How does the US manage to annex British Columbia?
  4. D

If the Civil Rights Act hadn't been passed, when/would the individual Southern states repeal segregation?

I think the Northern Ireland comparisons are more apt. Riots can and would be suppressed by military force. The "peace" afterwards would be the problem. In the OTL 70s the US saw a lot of subsequently forgotten open left-wing political violence/terrorism from both black and white radicals and...
  5. D

Jeb Bush runs in 2012

That is not the public perception.
  6. D

Jeb Bush runs in 2012

Well the field was very weak in 2012 so maybe if Romney doesn't run and he's up against the Herman Cains and Rick Santorums of the world. But I think even Republicans were ready to move on from the Bushes by that point. Romney won the nomination by a combination of establishment support and...
  7. D

Jeb Bush runs in 2012

The problem is that 2012 was way too soon after his brother's presidency. 2016 probably was too, but 2012 definitely was.
  8. D

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Yes this is exactly what I meant
  9. D

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Early polling in 1992 showed that Perot was taking votes overwhelmingly from Bill Clinton. By the actual election it had evened out, and maybe that was inevitable, but I imagine a Perot victory would be driven largely from bringing in traditional Democrat voters.
  10. D

Bangladesh independent from the start

If unified Bengal independence is anything like Indian, Pakistani, or Burmese independence I expect there to be large scale religious violence and ethnic cleansing. I can also see India aiming to break off the Hindu parts, which would probably push Bengal even more into the American camp.
  11. D

WI: Balkanized America as a result of a worse Great Depression

Korea was arbitrarily divided by outside powers after decades of colonization, so not really analogous. And as I said, the US is just too big for that to be practical here.
  12. D

WI: Balkanized America as a result of a worse Great Depression

I think any sort of early 20th century civil war in the US is going to be ideological rather than regional. American economic unity, political identity, and civic nationalism was too strong by then for separatism to really take root within the continental US. Instead you would get broad...
  13. D

Aftermath of a Central Powers victory

I think, as Japhy outlined earlier, securing an Entente victory would be too important for the US to just sit out the war. Even if there's not a clear cassus belli to enter the war due to no USW, the US is going to do everything it can to help Britain and France win in terms of finances and...
  14. D

Wiking is not exactly an unbiased source when it comes to analyzing the logistics and merits of German military strategy.
  15. D

That's usually what happens when you commit massive genocide yeah. I find the general obsession with recreating and envisioning (or if I'm being less charitable, openly fantasizing about) alternate white settler colonies in Africa to be pretty upsetting? Like if people did the same with...
Back