• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by AH Layard

1. A

Alternate Careers of Notable People Thread

Not at all would be interested to read
  2. A

Alternate Careers of Notable People Thread

Arnold Schwarzenegger was good friends with wrestlers 'Superstar' Billy Graham and Andre the Giant. Could easily see him enter professional wrestling after his retirement from bodybuilding in 1980, that is if his acting career doesn't take off.
  3. A

WI: No Vietnam War?

Floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.
  4. A

A better 1987 election for Labour?

The Tories had been talking about replacing the rates since 1974. It was only after the 1987 election that they pushed forward with legislation on the poll tax, in the beginning it wasn't that controversial because it wasn't widely understood, as soon as people realised the projected impact on...
  5. A

PoDs for a "Two Speed Europe"?

Agree with that Yokai and I don't think it wouldn't necessarily need the Tories coming back. With a small majority Labour can't pass Maastricht given the number of Eurosceptics on their backbenches, which increases the likelihood of a referendum which is probably going to fail.
  6. A

Alternate Wikibox Thread

That’s very true (although should say that it was an easier career choice to become an academic then if you had a very good undergraduate result, you could immediately get elected an Oxbridge fellow without even a Master’s let alone a PHD and tying up 5-7 years of your life and earnings). Rab...
  7. A

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Love the series @Callan. I was reminded reading these that Denis Healey had several job offers after the War, one of which included staying in the army to write the official history of the Italian campaign, another was a fellowship at Balliol (at one stage he wanted to be an art historian).
  8. A

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

A while back I posted an AH scenario of WI the 1994 video game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was the 4th Indy film: Well Nissim Khalifa a composer has orchestrated the game’s classic soundtrack, which gives an idea of what the film music could have sounded like. This is one example...
  9. A

Breaking the Mould Redux: A Wikibox Timeline

Just catching up with this, it's a great read. I like the detail on the Government's early policies (e.g. earlier entry into EMS, bringing back incomes policy, supply side interventions) and the different camps within the Alliance. It will be interesting to see how these ideological and personal...
  10. A

Different sides of different rings: Wrestling PODs and such

List of AEW Men’s World Champions
  11. A

The Thirty-Fourth HoS List Challenge

The Man Who Lost the War (and the Union) List of Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom 1905 - 1908: Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Liberal) 1906: Arthur Balfour (Conservative and Unionist), John Redmond (IPP), Keir Hardie (Labour). 1908 - 1910: H.H. Asquith (Liberal) 1910 - 1914: Arthur Balfour...
  12. A

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

Defeat and Independent MPs in the 1918 general election The National Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers (NFDDSS) The NFDDSS was established in January 1917 by Great War veterans in opposition to the Military Service (Review of Exceptions Act), which made it possible...
  13. A

The Thirty-Fourth HoS List Challenge

My bad sorry, in respect to other entrants I’ll withdraw and work on a related list for 1st. I‘ve put my previous entry here.
  14. A

French Politics in a 1918 CP Victory?

Sorry to update this thread after two months. I was reading this interesting article about the British and French economies after the First World War, which led me to some other reading and thoughts: During the War, despite introducing an income tax, the French were unable to raise as much...
  15. A

Breaking the Mould Redux: A Wikibox Timeline

Will guess at: Liberals/SDP: ~260 MPs Labour: ~190 MPs Conservatives: ~170 MPs Shirley Williams forms a minority government with the support of the Labour soft left/remaining centre.
Back