• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Now I’m imagining a scenario where Hillary sits out 2016 for some reason and Biden runs instead with Warren challenging him. Trump still wins and in 2020 Hillary is seen as the only person that can beat Trump as she defeats the darling of the left Warren in the primaries and Bernie Sanders coming in third with a voter base made out of radical leftists and Gabbard voters.
Bernie urged Warren to run before 2015 and only announced after she decided not to. I think you’d have to see Yang, Gabbard, or someone else completely random filling the void.

This is a pretty dumbass and cursed idea but I’ve had it in my head for ages.

Theresa Mac: Part 2 in my series of “Alternate Theresa May is worse than OTL Theresa May”

2016-2017: Theresa May (Conservative)
2017-2019: Theresa May (Conservative Minority)

2019- Present Theresa May (“National” Conservative leading National Government)

No one expected Theresa May to react the way she did to the failure of the first meaningful vote. With No Deal staring her down she reached across the aisle to other parties to secure some kind of Brexit deal. After several weeks negotiation she came to a proposal that shocked Britain. She would form a national government with the idea of getting through a Brexit deal. 109 Tory MPs would join her in this measure. While many had backed her deal, less were likely to support her siding with other parties. Soon enough a full on schism would occur with May being removed as leader of the Conservative Party and instead lead the “National Conservative” grouping. Labour would undergo a similar schism, with the majority of the Parliamentary Party joining the national government without the involvement of Jeremy Corby who would lead a 70 Strong Labour Party to the opposition benches. National Conservatives and National Labour (now lead by Tom Watson) were joined by the Liberal Democrats and Change UK who agreed on the condition of a second referendum.

In the end it was agreed a six month extension was agreed and an amended version of the deal would go through with increased protection for EU Citizens and protection of workers rights. Ironically this meant it did get some support from opposition Labour. The deal passed and went to a public vote. Turnout in the second referendum was poor with Boris Johnson’s opposition Conservatives less than enthusiastically campaigning for the deal alongside May’s National Conservatives. National Labour backed remain while Labour allowed their MPs to vote freely. In the end the deal passed 55% to 45% and we left the EU on 22nd September 2019.

From here the National Government stayed in place to negotiate a formal relationship. Which in the end involved remaining in the Common Market with mechanisms to “Disengage” in future*, as a nod to the National Conservatives. The rights of EU Nationals would be respected, as would workers rights in the UK. These would be discussed at 5 year intervals.

So that was the purpose of the national government served right? Except by the time this deal was negotiated and passed by September 2020, Britain was in the middle of a global pandemic and it was agreed in April the national government would remain in place to pass laws for the duration of the Pandemic or until June 2022, whichever came first.

Now there’s talk of the National government going into the 2022 as a unified force to carry out a recovery from the pandemic. The alternative is try and mend the broken Bridges in the two main parties and face up to the growing alliance between the Brexit Party and the Opposition Conservatives. Still though, maybe its time Theresa went.

National Conservative: 109 Seats
National Labour: 214
Liberal Democrat: 12
Change UK: 11 (later merged with the Liberal Democrats)

*Its basically a much beefier version of OTL’s Regulatory alignment.

Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury - Theresa May
Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for the Cabinet Office- Tom Watson
Chancellor of the Exchequer, Second Lord of the Treasury - Philip Hammond
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs - Emily Thornberry
Secretary of State for the Home Department - Angela Eagle
Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council - Chris Bryant
Secretary of State for Leaving the European Union - Sir Keir Starmer
Secretary of State for Justice, Lord Chancellor - David Lidington
Secretary of State for Defence - Maria Eagle
Secretary of State for Education- Justine Greening
Minister for Women and Equalities - Jo Swinson
Secretary of State for Health - Jeremy Hunt
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions - Chuka Umunna
Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills - Vince Cable
Secretary of State for Transport - Lisa Nandy
Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change - Ed Davey
Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - Sue Hayman
Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government - Angela Smith
Secretary of State for International Development - Hilary Benn
Secretary of State for Scotland - Ian Murray
Secretary of State for Wales - Nia Griffith
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland - Julian Smith
Chief Secretary to the Treasury - Seema Malhotra
Chief Whip in the House of Commons - Nick Brown
Leader of the House of Lords- Natalie Evans, Baroness Evans of Bowes Park

This is a pretty dumbass and cursed idea but I’ve had it in my head for ages.

Theresa Mac: Part 2 in my series of “Alternate Theresa May is worse than OTL Theresa May”

2019- Present Theresa May (“National” Conservative leading National Government)

No one expected Theresa May to react the way she did to the failure of the first meaningful vote. With No Deal staring her down she reached across the aisle to other parties to secure some kind of Brexit deal. After several weeks negotiation she came to a proposal that shocked Britain. She would form a national government with the idea of getting through a Brexit deal. 109 Tory MPs would join her in this measure. While many had backed her deal, less were likely to support her siding with other parties. Soon enough a full on schism would occur with May being removed as leader of the Conservative Party and instead lead the “National Conservative” grouping. Labour would undergo a similar schism, with the majority of the Parliamentary Party joining the national government without the involvement of Jeremy Corby who would lead a 70 Strong Labour Party to the opposition benches. National Conservatives and National Labour (now lead by Tom Watson) were joined by the Liberal Democrats and Change UK who agreed on the condition of a second referendum.

In the end it was agreed a six month extension was agreed and an amended version of the deal would go through with increased protection for EU Citizens and protection of workers rights. Ironically this meant it did get some support from opposition Labour. The deal passed and went to a public vote. Turnout in the second referendum was poor with Boris Johnson’s opposition Conservatives less than enthusiastically campaigning for the deal alongside May’s National Conservatives. National Labour backed remain while Labour allowed their MPs to vote freely. In the end the deal passed 55% to 45% and we left the EU on 22nd September 2019.

From here the National Government stayed in place to negotiate a formal relationship. Which in the end involved remaining in the Common Market with mechanisms to “Disengage” in future*, as a nod to the National Conservatives. The rights of EU Nationals would be respected, as would workers rights in the UK. These would be discussed at 5 year intervals.

So that was the purpose of the national government served right? Except by the time this deal was negotiated and passed by September 2020, Britain was in the middle of a global pandemic and it was agreed in April the national government would remain in place to pass laws for the duration of the Pandemic or until June 2022, whichever came first.

Now there’s talk of the National government going into the 2022 as a unified force to carry out a recovery from the pandemic. The alternative is try and mend the broken Bridges in the two main parties and face up to the growing alliance between the Brexit Party and the Opposition Conservatives. Still though, maybe its time Theresa went.

National Conservative: 109 Seats
National Labour: 214
Liberal Democrat: 12
Change UK: 11 (later merged with the Liberal Democrats)

*Its basically a much beefier version of OTL’s Regulatory alignment.

Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury - Theresa May
Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for the Cabinet Office- Tom Watson
Chancellor of the Exchequer, Second Lord of the Treasury - Philip Hammond
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs - Emily Thornberry
Secretary of State for the Home Department - Angela Eagle
Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council - Chris Bryant
Secretary of State for Leaving the European Union - Sir Keir Starmer
Secretary of State for Justice, Lord Chancellor - David Lidington
Secretary of State for Defence - Maria Eagle
Secretary of State for Education- Justine Greening
Minister for Women and Equalities - Jo Swinson
Secretary of State for Health - Jeremy Hunt
Secretary of State for Work and Pensions - Chuka Umunna
Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills - Vince Cable
Secretary of State for Transport - Lisa Nandy
Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change - Ed Davey
Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - Sue Hayman
Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government - Angela Smith
Secretary of State for International Development - Hilary Benn
Secretary of State for Scotland - Ian Murray
Secretary of State for Wales - Nia Griffith
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland - Julian Smith
Chief Secretary to the Treasury - Seema Malhotra
Chief Whip in the House of Commons - Nick Brown
Leader of the House of Lords- Natalie Evans, Baroness Evans of Bowes Park

It's funny because this puts Corbyn's Labour as the remain opposition to Nat Labour & CUK entering the government that made leave happen. I can't see Nat Labour doing too well after that.

It's funny because this puts Corbyn's Labour as the remain opposition to Nat Labour & CUK entering the government that made leave happen. I can't see Nat Labour doing too well after that.

Absolutely, I don't see what its electoral base would be, especially if Brexit is 'done' by the next election. I assume reconciliation with the main party would be out of the question too.

Absolutely, I don't see what its electoral base would be, especially if Brexit is 'done' by the next election. I assume reconciliation with the main party would be out of the question too.

On the other hand, a national coupon could probably let them stay in a decent position by not being contested by the other nationals. The rest of the national government probably won't run against natlab incumbents.

Especially if covid wasn't too mishandled.

Large centrist alliance as the party of government + a right and left opposition would be an interesting dynamic to write.

On the other hand, a national coupon could probably let them stay in a decent position by not being contested by the other nationals. The rest of the national government probably won't run against natlab incumbents.

Especially if covid wasn't too mishandled.

Large centrist alliance as the party of government + a right and left opposition would be an interesting dynamic to write.

Yeah, I get that. But I'm a bit skeptical of the potential survivability of the Labour element specifically - especially given the scenario you sketch is kind of what happened in the OTL UK in the 1930s and look how well that turned out for National Labour in the long term. I think the real issue would be that continuity Labour would be able to very easily define themselves as the party of the "Remain vibe" without the negative of having to actually have a position on Brexit anymore.

Yeah, I get that. But I'm a bit skeptical of the potential survivability of the Labour element specifically - especially given the scenario you sketch is kind of what happened in the OTL UK in the 1930s and look how well that turned out for National Labour in the long term. I think the real issue would be that continuity Labour would be able to very easily define themselves as the party of the "Remain vibe" without the negative of having to actually have a position on Brexit anymore.

Would the remain vibe matter that much with a soft brexit done with?

The main difference with historical natlab is that this natlab left with most of the PLP. I think the make or break thing for true labour will be the unions.

I can totally see this nat labour thinking they can do it, the national government holding for one election or two using a coupon system, and it gradually falling off or turning into a clear enough center right to center outfit, which would catapult a leftier true labour back on the main stage.

1) its not a very serious idea
2) I think they were gambling a LOT on a second referendum!

TBF Nat Labour DID secure a deal that secured EEA membership and workers rights and stuff AND put it to a second ref

The 2022 election is going to be MESSY. I could actually maaaybbe see it ending in a Tory (non nat) majority, especially if they do a joint ticket with Brexit on a platform of renegoiating the treaty. Partly depends how much National govt handles COVID.

1) its not a very serious idea
2) I think they were gambling a LOT on a second referendum!

TBF Nat Labour DID secure a deal that secured EEA membership and workers rights and stuff AND put it to a second ref

The 2022 election is going to be MESSY. I could actually maaaybbe see it ending in a Tory (non nat) majority, especially if they do a joint ticket with Brexit on a platform of renegoiating the treaty. Partly depends how much National govt handles COVID.

I like discussing non serious prompts and see how they'd unfold!

I could see Farage doing what he did OTL, dropping challenges in seats where the "true" Tories look strong but keeping them up where it can mess with the other parties and raise his own standing.

Would the remain vibe matter that much with a soft brexit done with?

The main difference with historical natlab is that this natlab left with most of the PLP. I think the make or break thing for true labour will be the unions.

I can totally see this nat labour thinking they can do it, the national government holding for one election or two using a coupon system, and it gradually falling off or turning into a clear enough center right to center outfit, which would catapult a leftier true labour back on the main stage.

I think in a way the remain vibe might matter more with a soft Brexit. Because then it basically stops being about the benefits of x, y or z Brexit deal in terms of political economy but about the question "are you for or against a kind of fungible social liberalism?" Maybe then the Red Wall voters will go for the Nat Labs? You're totally right that the long-term potential for the Nat Labs is reliant on which way the unions jump but I can't see them wanting to get into bed with the guys who've governed with the Tories for several years?

I think in a way the remain vibe might matter more with a soft Brexit. Because then it basically stops being about the benefits of x, y or z Brexit deal in terms of political economy but about the question "are you for or against a kind of fungible social liberalism?" Maybe then the Red Wall voters will go for the Nat Labs? You're totally right that the long-term potential for the Nat Labs is reliant on which way the unions jump but I can't see them wanting to get into bed with the guys who've governed with the Tories for several years?

The Nat Labs pushed for a referendum, it just fell flat. People are likely to think they're losers who got conned by May, despite how much they did to change the nature of her Brexit in hindsight, I guess?

I think there would also be a lot less focus on Corbyn's inadequacy when this shambling monstrosity of a government there to gawk at.

The Nat Labs pushed for a referendum, it just fell flat. People are likely to think they're losers who got conned by May, despite how much they did to change the nature of her Brexit in hindsight, I guess?

I think there would also be a lot less focus on Corbyn's inadequacy when this shambling monstrosity of a government there to gawk at.

I dont think 2022 would go like 1931 or 1936. Its why I stopped the list right there rather than write post-COVID as the great depression, complete with the rise of Neo-Hitler.

Guest starring Georgia Meloni as Neo-Mussolini

2019-22: Theresa May (“National” Conservative leading National Government)

2022-23: Michael Gove (Conservative-Brexit Party coalition)

def. Theresa May (National Conservative), Tom Watson (National Labour), Jeremy Corbyn (True Labour), Tim Fallon (Liberal Democrat), Nicola Sturgeon (SNP)

2023: Michael Gove (Conservative-Reform UK coalition)

2023-26: Nigel Farage (Reform UK)

def. Michael Gove (Conservative), Rebecca Long-Bailey (Labour), Chuka Ummunah (Liberal Unionists), Alex Salmond (SNP)

2026-2040: Nigel Farage (Great British Party)
2027, def. Andrew Neil (Conservative), Bell Ribeiro-Addy (Labour), Naomi Long (Liberal Alliance), Ben Lake (Plaid Cymru-SNP alliance)
2032, def. Darren Grimes (New Reform UK), Helena "Tonty" Blaire (Lib-Lab Pact) - Emma Rogan (Indepedence Alliance) arrested on irregularities
2038, def. Mohammed Abaza (National Conservative), John Chang "the Mancunian Candidate" (Lib-Lab Pact) - Blaire disqualified two weeks before election, various 'irregularities'

2040-- Nigel Farage ("Kent Government")
2040-- Rehana "Hood" Kohli ("Sherwood Government")
2040-- "Big Dan" Brigadier Daniel Stuart ("Balmoral Government")

Yes, the politics of competency in this TL would be fascinating

Charles

I love you Charles

Charles

b413f5cc7bca26728a621a3c5cff5300ebb7ba45e820d504255c8826c1e9

Three Lions in Westminster

Anthony Eden, Conservative, 1946-1962

Harold Macmillan, Conservative, 1962-1963

Harold Macmillan, Conservative, 1963-1974

Harold Wilson, Labour, 1974-1977

William Whitelaw, Conservative, 1977-1982

Roy Hattersley, Labour, 1982-1990

Neil Kinnock, Labour, 1990-1993

Michael Hesseltine, Conservative, 1993-1996

Margaret Beckett, Labour, 1996-1999

Robin Cook, Labour, 1999

John Prescott, Labour, 1999-2000

Robin Cook, Labour, 2000-2001

Tony Blair, Labour, 2001-2006

Gordon Brown, Labour, 2006-2007

William Hague, Conservative, 2008-2012

Andrew Mitchell, Conservative, 2012

Kenneth Clarke, Conservative, 2012-2016

David Miliband, Labour, 2016

Ed Miliband, Labour, 2016-

Yeah so this is the worst thing I've ever written, but imagining postwar PMs lining up with England national team managerial tenures.

Let's All Meet Up In The Year 2000

2021-2025: Joe Biden (Democratic)

(With Kamala Harris)
2020 Def.
Donald J. Trump/Mike Pence (Republican) [306-232]

2025-????: John Kasich (Republican)
(With David Valadao)
2024 Def. Joe Biden/Kamala Harris (Democratic) and Jesse Ventura/Jesse Jackson Sr. (Independent) [309-229]

The Kingdom of Ghosts

Leaders of the Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea
1912–1994: Kim Il-sung (Eternal President)
1994-2011: Kim Jong-il (Eternal General Secretary)
2011-2027: Kim Jong-un (Supreme Commander of the KPA) [refused "Eternal" title by state]
2027-2028: [vacant]

One cold morning (1am GMT) in 2027, guards are seen being recalled from the DMZ in Korea. An hour later, distant red glows and billowing smoke can be seen over the hills.

Several hours later, a transmission breaks the deathly silence - a woman with a large diagonal scar across the width of her face announces that the Kim family, the ranking commanders of the military, and a majority of the Supreme People's Assembly have been executed, with hundreds more rounded up and due to follow suit. Ariel reconnaissance and media packets sent via satellite confirm this - several pikes stand in the middle of Kim Il-sung Square, each one with a head sat atop it. Further witness testimony from Blue Helmets deployed for reconstruction efforts elaborates that these heads seemingly belong to Kim Jong-Un, his wife, immediate family, and approximately 41 members of both the State Assembly and governmental cabinet. There are many cases of structural damage, with buildings either on fire or no longer standing. Citizens in haphazard brown fatigues standing idly at street-corners have replaced the coordinated military parades. This is North Korea under the Sae-kki.

Leaders of the State of Free Chosŏn
2028: Ku Hee-Ra (the Sae-kki)
2028-present: "Ku Hee-Ra" (Ki Chi'un, Ka Sun-Yung & Nu Ji-Tae)

Little was known about the new insurgent leader of the former DPRK. Not only was she not familiar to international intelligence databases, there are no surviving birth records with her name specifically - it is theorised these were destroyed, or never existed to begin with. The only information the world had to go on was from the mouth of the unofficial media spokesperson for the new republic, a man called Ho Seo-jun, identifiable by his one glassy eye, who appeared on a cluster of news outlets in the months following The Northern Purge. In Ho's words, Ku Hee-Ra was born to a pair of political dissidents inside one of the country's many reeducation camps. She remained there until the age of nine, where she escaped and fled across the Tumen River, after which she was captured by human traffickers and sold into child prostitution rings. By the early 2010s, Ku had fallen in with a network of street thieves linked to a Chinese triad. Some time after this, she had taken over the triad by either seducing or assassinating its ranking members, and began using the organisation to fund what would become the revolutionary movement. Her signature facial scar was never elaborated on, but nonetheless quickly became symbolic of the national struggle. The fact that many of the junta's inner circle sported similar scarring, as well has occasional amputations, led to the myth that the DPRK had been taken over by an 'army of angry spirits' who took out their rightful revenge on the North Korean ruling class.

While the Free Republic spoke in clear terms about their country's freedom, they maintained that "outside agitators", primarily American military personnel, will not be allowed past the border, and subsequently ruled out any possible reunification with their southern neighbours, holding no interest in what they called a 'puppet Korea'. While civilians and media were confused but optimistic about the regime change, inner machinations beholden to world governments were fuming. Their intelligence operatives were being found and subsequently dragged out of the country by force, potential investors scouting properties were mailed carbon copies of their bank records, all manner of shenanigans. At least they weren't dealing with a refugee crisis; new laws had been put into place to 'preserve national congeniality and scrub imperialist influence', meaning the long-standing rule of "nobody in, nobody out" was holding until further notice. You could understand what motivated these greedy, callous lobbyists to do some digging, least they lose out on an export deal of a lifetime.

Pundits and fringe theorists still debate on whether or not Ku Hee-Ra even existed to begin with. Other than her initial satellite broadcast proclaiming the death of the Kims, she hadn't been seen in person, presumably delegating through her three most trusted lieutenants, all three of whom weren't too pleased when they were found as the ones actually in charge. To the rest of the Free State, and the world at large, the thousand-yard stare of the Sae-kki was still at the drivers seat. To a select few, however, it's actually the Bukhan Triumvirate that gets negotiated with. If anyone outside this private sphere were to find out, the lies in which the new country was freed on could collapse at any given moment.

Unofficial Leaders of the Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea
2027-present: Ae Ho-Jin/"Kim Sol-ki"
2028-present: Kim Han-sol
2028-present: Rurik Cho

With great instability comes ample opportunity. China had claimed the 'last surviving heir' before anyone else, offering up a scruffy twenty-something they claimed was the bastard lovechild of Kim Jong-nam and a supposed mistress. He wasn't biologically related to the Kim dynasty, but actually a second-generation Korean immigrant born in Baishizhou. It was very entertaining when everyone found out, you should've seen the stock market. America had an ace in the hole on that one, showing off how they'd had Kim Han-sol in protective custody since 2013 and could, at any moment, return him to the seat of power he was now eligible for. Russia, not having any of that, offered their own lost Kim family member, an orphan boy with charcoal eyes and grubby hair who'd been left in an orphanage. He is very much the Young Griff of the three possible successors, with those following him defending him at every turn with no actual evidence. So what if he's keen on letting the Kremlin have as much oil as they want after he takes power?

Last edited:
Back