• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Ballad of Fess Parker

Elephant_trail

Gone Fishing
Fess Parker was born in 1924.he enlisted in the Navy in w.w.2 but was too tall so was transfered to the marine corps.

Parker would later go into acting staring in old yellow and the science fiction film them it was the Disney series Davy cricket followed by Daniel boon that made Fess

Parker a house hold name with many kids buying coonskin caps imitating Daniel Boone.

After Boone wrapped up Fess turned down the role of McCloud in the self titled series .Fess Parker was not interested in playing a cop,

Boone went into winemaking.

Although .Hollywood is a liberal town Parker was a conservative. parker considered a run against Tunney in 76 but decided not to make a senate run that year .

n 1976 Ronald Reagan won the 1976 presidential election over president Ford .Reagan with his charisma defeating Jimmy Carter in what was assured to be a democratic win.
The presidency of Ronald Reagan proved to be a tough one. First . there was the Iranian hostage crisis. The Soviet aggression in Afghanistan. Again in 1980 president Reagan squeaked out a narrow victory against John Glenn. with a Republican victory you think there would be coattails but the Democrats kept the house and senate in Reagan's 2nd term.

Ronald Reagan left the white house a very controversial figure in 1985

The Democrats have not won a Election since 1964 and were hungry for a victory in 1984.formor governor Jerry Brown. Gary Heart. Ted Kennedy .Jesse Jackson all fought
For the nomination.
While the Democratic field was crowded.
The Republican field was small.

Vice president Richard Schultz Schweiker declined a white house run.

Senator Howard Baker . secretary of state George H Bush were contenders for the Republican nomination. Most Republicans stayed home as far as running for president was concern.

" For 16 years,the Republicans have been in power cried out former governor Jerry Brown at Democratic rally in New Jersey. may 1984.
Some time later in democratic presidential debate Senator Edward Kennedy was asked what he would do if elected president of the United States. Well I'm first well. Let's help out the little ones I mean the little people. well my people. Gary Hart was next to speak. Hart had much respect
for President Kennedy and spoke for the Massachusetts senator.

"What Senator Kennedy means is for too long those trapped in poverty and the middle class have struggled. well as president I intend to teach out to the destitute .the college graduate .the veteran. for 16 years the Republicans have had the white house.we seen Watergate. stagnation.inflation.
A arms build up that's out of control. I say enough is enough
Jerry Brown would now speak.

"I believe solar energy is the way to go. nuclear power is way too dangerous." Lind Ronstadt the former Governors girlfriend was in the audience she was getting more photographers attention then Brown.
Jesse Jackson ,
"We been ignored too long. we spend more money on weapons that won't get used then education that's a crying shame."

The Republicans debate Bush told Baker he try to negotiate with the Soviets ".But it is time for a nuclear freeze or the arms race would get out of hand".

both candidates were in Reagan's party and could not criticize their president then expect a endorsement

president Reagan was watching the
Debates on t.v. "we are screwed he told his wife Nancy Bush and Baker are nice fellows. Baker been a good senator .they don't call him the great conciliator for nothing. you couldn't find a sharper man then George Bush but he doesn't have Hart's charisma".

Ted Kennedy dropped out and endorsed Gary Hart.

Brown and Jackson fought hard but Hart won and picked brown as his running mate he was a unconventional choice but could help him win California.

Baker would win Republican nomination Governor Pete DuPont would be his running mate. fess Parker would take time from his winery to campaign for Baker

Fess Parker considered himself a solid conservative.

.senator Hart attacked 16 years of Republican policy

Senator Baker was on the defensive. Hart took the pointers from the late president Kennedy and watched fil of him debating Nixon in 1960.

"There he goes again" president Reagan told a intern watching the debate with him on t.v. from the view of the white house.

"I'll be shaking hats hand on January 20 1985. Well Hart's right we did have 16 years. presidents "Reagan gives a big sigh of relief he is finshing his term. and go back to California and enjoy retirement the sun has finally set on the Republican dominance of the white house.

As President Reagan expected Senator Hart won the 84 election in a landslide Baker only won Tennessee his home state. Utah. Nevada. Democrats kept the house and senate bit held on the senate with a slight lead.16 years of Republican, rule was over.

It was not over in fess Parker s mind he talked it over with his wife Marcy and he would run against Alan Cranston in 1986.

Fess Parker was considered by anyone under 21 their parents childhood heroe.no one under 21 was allowed to vote. the generation that watched Davy crocket or Daniel boon was crushed.

If Elvis or James Dean ran for for elected office it would kill of their mystique of coolness. you like Elvis because he can sing not because what he would do to balance the budget.

Now a t.v. icon was talking about national defense tax reform.
Reagan was a conservative. actor but he was a b movie actor most Americans saw him as their grandfather. when your grand father talks national defense you can shrug

your shoulder s grandfather been around he knows what he saying.

Fess Parker when he Traveled all over Sunny California running for senator trying to convince the public he should defeat Alan Cranston. it was different when Reagan ran for governor. after president.
When Reagan spoke he was firm. "The Soviets are wrong we are right teach a man to fish not fish for him"

Fess Parker was firm but it was like Hart in 84.hart won because Republican s been in power 16 years. guess what? Democrats held the senate since FDR and that's longer then 16 years.

'What! Another actor is running for office that's what I get for living in California' Cranston thought to himself.

Alan Cranston had been a u.s. senator since 69 when he defeated Max Raffert,
.unlike John Tunney he rarely missed senate .hearings Charlatan Heston was rumored to run but he didn't

fess Parker bet out a number of hopefuls including Ed Zschau. who would later leave the republican party.
" I would be relieved if someone talked me out for it but quoted Plato as having written that “reluctant people turned out to be more or less the most effective.” "Parker would day later

On the defense budget, although he was “more cost-effective in this uncertain world,” Parker fully agreed with old friend, then-President Ronald Reagan, that “America’s primary duty is a strong national defense.”

While Parker was a conservative friendship came first for Fess Parker
"Parker was firmly in the camp of Bordonaro’s primary rival, decidedly liberal State Assemblyman Brooks Firestone. "
taken from
By
John Gizzi

on
March 23, 2010.Human events
Mid term elections
Democrats would keep the house and senate but Fess Parker defeat ed Alan Cranston 54%to Cranstons
44%.

Back