• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Adventures of Aella the Amazon. Part 1: Overview.

I like this idea - was never into Hercules and Xena, but I remember the era of television very well.

Speaking of Blake's 7 and this era, I was just rewatching the first episode of Andromeda. I remember at the time the writers said they were influenced by Blake's 7 and me thinking how much better the SFX budget were for Andromeda. Now, on a modern HD screen and with hindsight of how much better CGI etc can be, Andromeda often looks just as cheap as Blake's 7 did back then...

Pfft! One season? Taggart went on for 16 more after the death of their main actor and title character.
The late JOHN ACTOR plays a DEAD SCOTTISH DETECTIVE in - McMonkfish!

Like @Lord Roem , I feel it's one Fast Show madlib we should bring back, there's so many more cop show tropes from more recent shows they could do.

This is a fun little exercise, and I like that it avoids the pop-culture timeline trap of 'here's the awesome thing we never got!' in favour of 'here is the moderately charming thing we never got that you would have had to be in exactly the right place at the right time to feel affection for.'

This is a fun little exercise, and I like that it avoids the pop-culture timeline trap of 'here's the awesome thing we never got!' in favour of 'here is the moderately charming thing we never got that you would have had to be in exactly the right place at the right time to feel affection for.'

Thanks! Stunt casting aside, that’s what I was aiming for.

I must confess I'm not as up on my 1990s fantasy television as I am other genres, so I'm wondering how many of those other shows like Roar are real.

Curious when you envision Dwayne Johnson's role as happening? Strikes me as the sort of thing he'd do after he left wrestling full time but during that weird period where he leaned heavily out of his status as an (ex-)wrestler.

I must confess I'm not as up on my 1990s fantasy television as I am other genres, so I'm wondering how many of those other shows like Roar are real.

All of them are real. (I watched Roar for the first time earlier this year - it's goofy as all get out, but I enjoyed it. It was fun, and bittersweet, seeing one of Heath Ledger's earliest roles.)

Curious when you envision Dwayne Johnson's role as happening? Strikes me as the sort of thing he'd do after he left wrestling full time but during that weird period where he leaned heavily out of his status as an (ex-)wrestler.

That one was based on his real world appearance on an episode of Voyager in 2000. Granted, Star Trek is a lot more high profile than some random French fantasy show, but rule of cool.

All of them are real. (I watched Roar for the first time earlier this year - it's goofy as all get out, but I enjoyed it. It was fun, and bittersweet, seeing one of Heath Ledger's earliest roles.)
Might look it up, I'm excited by the prospect of a fantasy show set in Hibernia... but wary of an American fantasy show set in Hibernia.
That one was based on his real world appearance on an episode of Voyager in 2000. Granted, Star Trek is a lot more high profile than some random French fantasy show, but rule of cool.
Having recently read up on UPN that was actually a cross promotion since Smackdown! was also making it's debut on the same channel as Voyager. I think similar logic might have gone into Paul Wight appearing on Enterprise a few years layer.

That's why I asked because I was reminded of the Voyager cameo but felt the only way The Rock would get to act on a French show is if Vinny Mac was targeting le belle France as a new market.

Might look it up, I'm excited by the prospect of a fantasy show set in Hibernia... but wary of an American fantasy show set in Hibernia.

Hm. Well, it's definitely an American fantasy show from the late 1990s, but I don't recall anything especially egregious. I'm not Irish, nor even Irish-American, though.

One puzzling bit was a show set in the 5th century presenting the threat of a Roman invasion as Very Serious Business.

Having recently read up on UPN that was actually a cross promotion since Smackdown! was also making it's debut on the same channel as Voyager. I think similar logic might have gone into Paul Wight appearing on Enterprise a few years layer.

That's why I asked because I was reminded of the Voyager cameo but felt the only way The Rock would get to act on a French show is if Vinny Mac was targeting le belle France as a new market.

Fair point! I forgot about the UPN connection. In hindsight, another less popular wrestler would have worked better, but that's a lesson for my next such project.

Hm. Well, it's definitely an American fantasy show from the late 1990s, but I don't recall anything especially egregious. I'm not Irish, nor even Irish-American, though.
Let me put it this way: was wondering if all the Romans speak in Cockney tinted RP.

Last edited:
Back