• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Prequel Problems: My Brother's Keeper (Star Trek)

One wonders if the reason Kang and Kirk seem to have met each other before in "Day of the Dove" is that the former was originally written Kor from "Errand of Mercy" in mind before John Colicos had to bow out due to a scheduling issue. Though Kirk also seems to know Koloth very well ("My dear Captain Koloth!") in "The Trouble with Tribbles" and as far as I'm aware that was never meant to be Kor.

Regardless, makes good fodder for spin-off prequel novels.

One wonders if the reason Kang and Kirk seem to have met each other before in "Day of the Dove" is that the former was originally written Kor from "Errand of Mercy" in mind before John Colicos had to bow out due to a scheduling issue. Though Kirk also seems to know Koloth very well ("My dear Captain Koloth!") in "The Trouble with Tribbles" and as far as I'm aware that was never meant to be Kor.

Regardless, makes good fodder for spin-off prequel novels.
I believe Koloth was also intended to be Kor in the first draft, they kept wanting to get Colicos back but history repeated itself, so your idea makes sense.

The R middle initial is stated as being part of a running joke between Mitchell and Kirk, which (pleasingly) we never actually see the beginning of, rather than hitting every point too heavily as prequels often do.

“What’s your middle name?”

“Tiberius. With an R”

“So, Riberius?”

I believe Koloth was also intended to be Kor in the first draft, they kept wanting to get Colicos back but history repeated itself, so your idea makes sense.
We, of course, live in the world where they had a new Klingon commander every time, but I wonder if we lived in the world where they did get Colicos back every time, we'd be instead complaining that there only seems to be one starship-equivalent vessel in the Klingon Empire in TOS.

We, of course, live in the world where they had a new Klingon commander every time, but I wonder if we lived in the world where they did get Colicos back every time, we'd be instead complaining that there only seems to be one starship-equivalent vessel in the Klingon Empire in TOS.
A spinoff set of non-canon novels for the TOS movies where Q'onoS (or possibly 'Kling') also gets attacked by an alien probe every week and Kor has the only Klingon ship in the quadrant to deal with it...

Back