• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Overdone tropes you actually enjoy?

The problem, though, is that Danes were overwhelmingly opposed to selling Greenland when it was rumored that the United States wanted it in 1947 and I don't see how we could change that.
This simply results in three sets of TLs rather than just one.

The first - how do you get Denmark into a situation where it's willing to sell Greenland anyway?

The second - how do Danes react to their government selling Greenland out from under their noses?

And the third - if we just assume that there's a Denmark willing to sell Greenland to USA and the USA buys it.

Probably do it in a different year then. This isn't that hard.
The problem is that there doesn't appear to have been any year that Denmark was willing to sell. In 1917, part of the deal on the sale of the Danish Virgin Islands actually was the US recognizing Danish sovereignty over Greenland.

The problem is that there doesn't appear to have been any year that Denmark was willing to sell. In 1917, part of the deal on the sale of the Danish Virgin Islands actually was the US recognizing Danish sovereignty over Greenland.
Three years you can cite since 1776, does not an argument make. Which you surely know already.

What if there's a different government in Copenhagen in 1917 who views Greenland as unnecessary to maintain? What if Christian IX succeeded in convincing the Prussians to let the whole of his realm into the North German Confederation in 1864? What if Denmark is in a financial crisis and it's newspapers start insisting that Greenland is a money sink? What if Napoleon ruled Europe for 30 years in victory?

Surely it is not beyond the realm of possibility that circumstances can change in an Alternate History!

I always like when Ireland gets its independence earlier, just an interesting new piece in play in politics.

Also always liked the idea in a scramble for Africa that the modern DR Congo would inevitably go to some random power that didn't make much sense.

“Hitler gets got, the generals and/or Göring try to make peace with the west”, especially early war, is one I actually like. It’s overdone but tbh I’m not sure I’ve read two that had the same actual stuff happen, because of the insanity of the Nazi state and the unpredictability of its operations IOTL. You can make a case for pretty much anything, even before you even get to “do the WAllies (or just Churchill at this point) consider it?”. See also Hitler getting got before the war breaks out.

I always like when Ireland gets its independence earlier, just an interesting new piece in play in politics.

Also always liked the idea in a scramble for Africa that the modern DR Congo would inevitably go to some random power that didn't make much sense.

Read the past two pages too quickly and my mind is now running around how Ireland can end up in control of Greenland.

Also Dano-Irish Congo

I was thinking the other day how much I enjoy a good zero butterflies TL. Particularly with technology or magic

The Wolf 359 podcast is a great example of this. It seems to be set in the present day - the space travel mega-corporation is named after US rocket scientists from the 20s so there's hits of very early space travel. There's been FTL spaceships exploring the area within 10 light years of Earth since at least the 1970s. They have cassette tapes and also AIs. This is not fully explained and therefore the unrealness of the world feels more like a looming threat

The Netflix Xmas movie cinematic universe is another example - eastern Europe is ruled by English speaking absolute monarchies, there's a chinese/japanesy culture between Russia and the middle east but otherwise the world is unchanged. In this case it's shit - but shit in a way that's so interesting to think about

Back