• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

National sales tax during the Great Depression

Ricardolindo

During the Great Depression, conservative politicians in the United States wanted not only to slash spending but also to launch a national sales tax.
What if that had happened?
I think a national sales tax would have had a disastrous deflationary effect which would have delayed economic recovery.

During the Great Depression, conservative politicians in the United States wanted not only to slash spending but also to launch a national sales tax.
I think a national sales tax would have had a disastrous deflationary effect which would have delayed economic recovery.
So, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hoover would get the 1936 map in his reelection bid, and FDR repealed the sales tax in his first 100 days in office.

Back