• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

ISOT A Modern Mississippi Riverboat

DaleCoz

My wife and I went on a Mississippi riverboat cruise earlier this summer. The riverboat, the Twilight, can carry up to 130 passengers, actually a few more in a pinch, but they like a maximum of 130. Ours was the first tour of the season and had around 70 passengers. Apparently, the boat usually fills up to the 130 level. It starts its runs in late May and runs for five months, doing two-day cruises with the first day taking passengers from LeClair to Dubuque Iowa and the second day taking them back, after an overnight stay in a hotel in Dubuque. It’s an 83-mile trip each way. Upriver, the riverboat averages ten miles/hour. On the way back down, with the current helping, the Twilight makes a blistering thirteen miles/hour. I decided that the Twilight, suitably fictionalized, would be a great candidate for ISOTing.

Passengers are mostly retirees, most of them still in good shape, with a high percentage of readers. On our cruise, they were predominantly Anglo, with one wheelchair-bound African American lady and her young male Anglo assistant. That combination would make for interesting times anytime before maybe the 1960s. The crew is mostly college-aged or a little older, though most of them are not college students. They work the tours five months/year and make enough to live a modest life year-round. The company maintains a dormitory for their workers near the river.

On the river, we passed a crap ton of tugboats, each with a huge “train” of barges, typically three abreast and three or four barges long. These barges are big enough that they measure their cargo in acres of corn or soybeans.

Okay. Let’s start with a modern river boat and maybe a tugboat with associated barges, a mix of corn and ethanol, headed downriver. They are going into a storm that will ISOT them to some other time on the same river, the Mississippi, most likely into the past. So where should we plop the fricking thing and what would the results be?

Constraints: Go back very far and the course of the river and especially the channels will have shifted. The riverboat may find itself in an oxbow lake where the river used to run or even a dry former riverbed, with just the water from the section of the river that got ISOTed around them. The river itself probably didn't exist in recognizable form past around 70 million years ago.

I came up with around 14 different time periods where our riverboat and barges could have "interesting times" ending up, but before I post them, I want to see what the group mind comes up with as good ISOT periods. I'll post my list unaltered after people have a chance to chew on the concept and toss out ideas.

A solid hundred years would be a heck of an experience. Enough people to make an impact on a timeline. Obviously pre civil rights would be quite an experience. Time to warn about the great Depression and WWII.

As promised, some preliminary picks:

• 1974: There are a lot of cell phones and tablets on that boat and probably a few laptops. How does putting that future in the hands of 1970s people change the computing industry and thus the future?
  • 1968: How does knowledge of the future affect the Vietnam war, the 1968 primaries, etc. We would know the big Vietcong offensive was coming, among other things.
  • November 1941: We know about Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March.
  • 1927: In the middle of the great Mississippi river flood. Interesting to experience, plus some influence on future history.
  • 1860: The leadup to the Civil War. What does the knowledge of the future from the riverboat do to the Civil War? Stop it? Make it shorter? Prolong it?
  • December 16, 1811: New Madrid Earthquake. That ought to shake things up a bit. (Yes, bad pun) Tecumseh is trying to unite all the Indians against US expansion. War of 1812 is looming. Napoleonic wars in Europe.
  • 1799: Spain rules Louisiana and is trying to hold the Mississippi line against the surging new US. Lots of adventure to be had there.
  • 1530s: Last remnants of the Mississippian mound builders meet the Spanish under DeSoto and these strange, unarmed, out of place river folk.
  • Early 1200s: Cahokia maybe a little after its peak
  • Around 30 AD: Pre-corn Indians without bows, but with some casual agriculture. Barges with acres of (hybrid and mostly non-plantable corn) may reset their vision of agriculture.
  • Around 12000 BC: meet the first Indians and a very different river near the end of the ice age. Possibly time this to near the time when glacial lake Agassiz was draining indirectly into the Mississippi, which I suspect would have made the river considerably bigger.
  • Around 125,000 BC: Last interglacial. No people in the New World.
  • Maximum Mississippi (around 4 million years ago): There was a period in the more distant past when the Mississippi was in the same class as the Amazon in terms of water flow rather than being ten to twenty percent as big. That could be fun to explore. North America would be considerably warmer than now. Animals would be sort of modern in general form, but not the same species and with some larger forms that didn’t survive past the ice age.
  • Any number of times further back in prehistory, including back to dinosaur times, though at some point the river would be so different as to make ISOTing in it difficult to impossible. There was a Mississippi river of sorts dating back to around 70 million years, though before that a barrier in what is now the southern US forced drainage to an inland sea or north through Canada.

Back