• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Help with Colorado River megaprojects?

SpudNutimus

I make maps and things.
Pronouns
he/him
So, to make it short, I'm trying to develop this very ASB robot uprising vignette into a more fleshed-out setting.

To sum it up, the general premise is that Charles Babbage's analytical engine design receives additional funding and is completed in 1847, resulting in general-purpose mechanical computers becoming commonplace by the mid-19th century, soon being electrified (not as in directly electronic computers, just like, the shafts and turbines of the mechanical CPU are driven by electricity) with the advent of early telegraphy and power infrastructure.

The first sapient AI comes online in 1898, and by the 1920s there are millions of them around the globe. In 1922 a group of robots in New York City revolt and robot uprisings begin around the globe, and in a last effort to save humanity the leaders of mankind make a deal with the remaining loyal robots to destroy the revolt in exchange for the creation of an independent robot state consisting of a large portion of the American West. By the 1930s the new state, known as Zion, is the center of global infrastructure and technology as the rest of the Earth languishes in the absence of its previous mechanical labor.

Now, to get on to the actual reason for this thread: I'm not good at planning fictional megaprojects and would like to know what types of insane superstructures I could have the robots build within their country. In particular the Colorado River is supposed to be the center of their infrastructure, so basically how can I make the Colorado River as powerful as possible via water megaprojects at the expense of all of its neighbors?

They're robots, so they don't actually need to drink and would just be concerned with power generation, and they don't really care about the environment at all either. The problem is that first of all we're still in the 1920s, albeit a much more advanced version of them, and so will be limited by the physical infrastructure of the time period even with utterly unimaginable advances in computing and machinery.

Second of all, they're stuck within their own borders due to the tense truce with humanity, so they don't actually have access to that many extra water sources to pump into the Colorado. I was considering the possibility of diverting the Snake River and Rio Grande into it but once again, I don't actually know anything about water infrastructure or how rivers work, so I could use some guidance.

Here's a map of the country's borders for reference.

mechanicalziondraft.png

The Colorado River isn't an ideal long term solution for water and power.

The water use plans for the Colorado River Basin were drawn up in the 1920s based on historical records dating back 30 years (source). We now know that those years were among the wettest years in the Colorado River Basin in the past 800 to 1,200 years. By the 1960s the construction of large dams in the Basin had ended due to environmental reasons, and not just due to activism. The system just wasn't producing enough water to store. Now the region has been under drought conditions for over two decades and is on the verge of having the worst megadrought since at least 800.

The water use plans for the Colorado River Basin were drawn up in the 1920s based on historical records dating back 30 years (source). We now know that those years were among the wettest years in the Colorado River Basin in the past 800 to 1,200 years. By the 1960s the construction of large dams in the Basin had ended due to environmental reasons, and not just due to activism. The system just wasn't producing enough water to store. Now the region has been under drought conditions for over two decades and is on the verge of having the worst megadrought since at least 800.
Fair, I suppose it'd likely just be the main source of power initially then, until more long-term solar and wind energy infrastructure could be developed and established for the Southwest's robots over the course of the next few decades. Maybe just the Bridge Canyon, Marble Canyon, and Little Colorado dams proposed IRL, in addition to analogous dams to the Hoover, Glen Canyon, Imperial, and Parker Dams are built here to sustain the massive influx of robots along with Rocky Mountain fossil fuels until renewables are up and running? The major cities (or whatever you would call the robot version of a city, more of a massive industrial park really) would then still likely end up along the Colorado due to the interim power infrastructure there, and even afterwards the region around it is still pretty good for solar and wind.

Of course, the question is, do the robots know that ahead of time?

You could have the two dams planned for the Grand Canyon IOTL built - those were cancelled due to public outcry. You could also, depending on metal resources, build a large quantity of solar molten salt reactors with relatively simple technology, I think? I can’t tell from the map whether the Grants Mineral Belt is in the borders, but if so, you can have all the nuclear reactors your heart desires too.

Back