• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

China, Korea and Japan all modernize in the 19th century

Ricardolindo

How is it possible for all three of China, Korea and Japan to modernize in the 19th century? From what I know, China is relatively easy but Korea may be hard.
Anyways, if they all did, what would their relations look like? Would Korea be free from both China and Japan?

How is it possible for all three of China, Korea and Japan to modernize in the 19th century? From what I know, China is relatively easy but Korea may be hard.
Anyways, if they all did, what would their relations look like? Would Korea be free from both China and Japan?

A successful Gapsin Coup coupled with Korea remaining merely Japanese-aligned and not a Japanese colony?

It’s an interesting scenario, but I fear you’re casting your net far too wide for us to be able to make any specific predictions. It all depends on how the industrialize, their specific motivations for doing so, etc. I think it’s fair to say that there are countless ways in which Japanese industrialization and governmental reform could have come about from within the Tokugawa Shogunate, with the Emperor remaining a political non-entity over in Kyoto. And now you’ve also got different things happening in Korea and China, no, nothing’s set in stone, there are a million different ways you can handle this.

A successful Gapsin Coup coupled with Korea remaining merely Japanese-aligned and not a Japanese colony?
Interesting. I wasn't aware of the Gapsin Coup.

It’s an interesting scenario, but I fear you’re casting your net far too wide for us to be able to make any specific predictions. It all depends on how the industrialize, their specific motivations for doing so, etc. I think it’s fair to say that there are countless ways in which Japanese industrialization and governmental reform could have come about from within the Tokugawa Shogunate, with the Emperor remaining a political non-entity over in Kyoto. And now you’ve also got different things happening in Korea and China, no, nothing’s set in stone, there are a million different ways you can handle this.
Understood. In the case of Korea, I said I thought it may have been hard because I once read a Korean say that he thought it was almost impossible with a post-1800 point of divergence because the Joseon dynasty wasn't rational enough.

Back