• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An Alternate History of Horror VI: Hollywood Undead

Was too busy this morning to post this (or my story update) unfortunately but will do it at lunchtime.
Now done.

The way Twitter previews the Dracula poster makes it look disturbingly like a Donkey Kong Country game font.

Also that's a fun bit of trivia about the Mummy series timeline. I've seen other examples of fiction from this era or before that thinks it can set the beginning 'now' and then have a big time skip without thinking about how the world might have changed, even if focused on the most everyday matters. Probably would not fly nowadays so much.

It's fascinating in a way that The Mummy ended up being consistently the most commercially successful of all of these from Universal, even when they were into the remakes modern era.

The way Twitter previews the Dracula poster makes it look disturbingly like a Donkey Kong Country game font.
The Count would actually make a good villain for Nintendo games.
Also that's a fun bit of trivia about the Mummy series timeline. I've seen other examples of fiction from this era or before that thinks it can set the beginning 'now' and then have a big time skip without thinking about how the world might have changed, even if focused on the most everyday matters. Probably would not fly nowadays so much.
The Universal horror films in particular would disregard anything occurring outside of the bubble of that particular film. Invisible Agent might have done his part, but World War II was never even acknowledged otherwise even when the Frankenstein films became modern set without leaving Central Europe.

Though my headcanon is that Karloff's character in House of Frankenstein was imprisoned for war crimes.
It's fascinating in a way that The Mummy ended up being consistently the most commercially successful of all of these from Universal, even when they were into the remakes modern era.
Egyptology was a big craze in recent memory when those films were being released. Then when the remakes came along the action-adventure interpretation came up with a plot and tone formula that modern superhero films have pretty much copied.

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. I knew about the horror hosts, Aurora kits and Don Post masks but hadn't connected them to a particular package of films sold by Universal.

This does pose the question of how much Universal's embracing of television in the 1950s might have helped the longevity of their films (and not just in horror!) compared to others.

Egyptology was a big craze in recent memory when those films were being released. Then when the remakes came along the action-adventure interpretation came up with a plot and tone formula that modern superhero films have pretty much copied.
I am slightly disappointed we didn't get a well known film made in the period between Tut's tomb being and his ahem, mummy being unwrapped where all the cultural references took it for granted he was an old man. Wouldn't that confuse the narrative.....
The remake being seen as an iconically bi film but not in a way that put straight audiences off probably doesn't hurt either

The remake being seen as an iconically bi film but not in a way that put straight audiences off probably doesn't hurt either
So, I only found this out last year having loved the film since it came out.

"It's an iconic bisexual film?"

Is it? I've loved it since it came out and never noticed.

"Well..."

Oh... right.

Back