• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An Alternate History of Horror: Part XV

SLP: "Slashers have an origin in Christie's plots"

Film Companies: "AS SOON AS POIROT IS PUBLIC DOMAIN, CROSS HIM OVER WITH JASON"

There's a book on the unmade Freddy VS Jason films and there's a lot of bizarre pitches & scripts in the 90s - "what if Jason was just a guy the films are based on and he was on trial for murder, however Freddy is real" - and that's almost certainly because Everyone Knows slashers are dead so you can't just do a slasher, right?

That's a really good point about "And Then There Were None".

R. Austin Freeman also seems to have pre-empted Dexter-type characters with his story "The Uttermost Farthing" a.k.a. "A Savant's Vendetta", but I think that's more of a coincidence rather than a direct influence.

SLP: "Slashers have an origin in Christie's plots"

Film Companies: "AS SOON AS POIROT IS PUBLIC DOMAIN, CROSS HIM OVER WITH JASON"
I kind of want to see it.

"I do not approve of murder, M. Voorhees."

There's a book on the unmade Freddy VS Jason films and there's a lot of bizarre pitches & scripts in the 90s - "what if Jason was just a guy the films are based on and he was on trial for murder, however Freddy is real" - and that's almost certainly because Everyone Knows slashers are dead so you can't just do a slasher, right?
Well don't keep us all in suspense over the books title! Children need to know at one point there was to be a cult of Freddy worshippers called Fred Heads and Mr. Kruger was also to have been the counselor boinking whilst young Jason drowned.

I do think that even if the slasher craze took a different direction, Sturgeonism and the cheap nature that made it appealing to filmmakers would mean that the bulk of them would either be just bad or mediocre genre films.

Back