• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Africa During the Scramble: The Desert Order

The death tolls in these articles are staggering

It's difficult to know the exact casualties of the Pacification of Libya, somewhere between 50,00 and 100,000 is generally agreed. Which is a lot of people, thought in terms of sheer numbers, comfortably less than the deaths in places like German East Africa (which we will get too soon) simply because Libya wasn't that densely populated to begin with.

Mussolini: not a nice guy. Also not that different from the colonial norms of more democratic countries.

I do remember many years ago me and you had a discussion about whether or not a Libya as the fourth shore of Italy was ever really realistic with you and @Death's Companion pushing the line that the Italian state had too many problems for them not to ultimately lose Libya whereas me and @Ciclavex was much more pessimistic on the chances of a Libyan recovery without an invasion of Libya by an outside force, given the devestation of the pacification.

Mind, I would like to see a timeline of an Egyptian-Italian war on the basis that Italy remained neutral through WWII and then Nasser or an equivalent felt like the racist fascist state which he had borders with both in his south in Ethiopia and his west in Libya was the big threat that needed to be destroyed.

It's difficulties to know the exact casualties of the Pacification of Libya, somewhere between 50,00 and 100,000 is generally agreed. Which is a lot of people, thought in terms of sheer numbers, comfortably less than the deaths in places like German East Africa (which we will get too soon) simply because Libya wasn't that densely populated to begin with.

Mussolini: not a nice guy. Also not that different from the colonial norms of more democratic countries.

I do remember many years ago me and you had a discussion about whether or not a Libya as the fourth shore of Italy was ever really realistic with you and @Death's Companion pushing the line that the Italian state had too many problems for them not to ultimately lose Libya whereas me and @Ciclavex was much more pessimistic on the chances of a Libyan recovery without an invasion of Libya by an outside force, given the devestation of the pacification.

Mind, I would like to see a timeline of an Egyptian-Italian war on the basis that Italy remained neutral through WWII and then Nasser or an equivalent felt like the racist fascist state which he had borders win both in his south in Ethiopia and his west in Libya was the big threat that needed to be destroyed.
Hmm

A 1960s Arab Military verse the unreformed Italian Military. That seems like asking for two bald men slipping and accidently stabbing themselves in the eye with a comb.

Back