• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

60 Years of Doctor Who. Part 5: The Fifth Doctor

It's a pity about the aging up, which likely would've had to happen for the show as you say, because the sight of Grange Hill with assault rifles would've been pretty damn striking and stuck in people's minds. Probably also had some complaints from older DWAS members too, since it'd be kids and young teens running around in 80s-Who uniforms and sets! Camp is inevitable.

Betting we'd get some detail added by Saward to go "and the Dalek is here because in the Movellan War--" too, seeding his planned story

It's a pity about the aging up, which likely would've had to happen for the show as you say, because the sight of Grange Hill with assault rifles would've been pretty damn striking and stuck in people's minds. Probably also had some complaints from older DWAS members too, since it'd be kids and young teens running around in 80s-Who uniforms and sets! Camp is inevitable.
Could see it being held up as an example of the increasing violence on the program even with the aging.
Betting we'd get some detail added by Saward to go "and the Dalek is here because in the Movellan War--" too, seeding his planned story
Saward gonna Saward

I have a feeling that if I was born sooner, I'd probably have been OUTRAGED by Peter Davison's casting as I'd have been too wedded to the idea that the Doctor had to be an older actor to fit the bill as a trickster-mentor type. I feel like that's arguably way more fundamental to the character than all the arguments about race, gender and so on. I say this despite firmly holding the doublethink opinion that Matt Smith (and David Tennant) are great. Funny to think about in the abstract when I grew up at a time when the show was off the air and I only knew about it through pop culture anyway (which mostly was only about Tom Baker anyway).

Apologies for this being posted later than usual - this will be the case for a bit as I don't have access to a computer until the evening.

The idea of having a single Dalek in control in the background is reminiscent of the role that Davros played in Revelation of the Daleks. Maybe Saward was influenced by that idea.

I have a feeling that if I was born sooner, I'd probably have been OUTRAGED by Peter Davison's casting as I'd have been too wedded to the idea that the Doctor had to be an older actor to fit the bill as a trickster-mentor type.

I wasn’t outraged, but it did feel a bit off for Tristan Farnon to become the Doctor. It wasn’t the only thing wrong with his era, but to me it felt indicative of a general decline of the series. Big Finish did help me re-evaluate his Doctor and come to appreciate it.

I wasn’t outraged, but it did feel a bit off for Tristan Farnon to become the Doctor. It wasn’t the only thing wrong with his era, but to me it felt indicative of a general decline of the series. Big Finish did help me re-evaluate his Doctor and come to appreciate it.
I remember when Tennant was cast and posting (on Nitcentral, I think) "Good Casanova does not a good Doctor make" - that take aged really well.

I remember when Tennant was cast and posting (on Nitcentral, I think) "Good Casanova does not a good Doctor make" - that take aged really well.
Incidentally, just saw the latest holder of the title in Barbie to my amusement.

Back