• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

Gold found in the Australian Northern Territory in the 19th century

Yes. Though it really does come down to how large the gold reserves are; I'm trying to find the figures, but my gutfeeling is you need an NT goldrush that is based off diggings-and-profits comparable in size to what WA had in the 1890s. AFAIK OTL's Pine Creek rush was nowhere near as large. Fun...
  2. M

I should clarify, in particular I'm now thinking of Brownsville from during the American Civil War blockade, as the peacetime economics of moving supplies via stagecoaches, bullock- and camel- trains, into the interior of even the most superprofitable gold rush altTerritory, should be comparable...
  3. M

Yup, gold rushes everywhere on our continent in the 19th century. Big, sustainable, permanent demographic changing gold rushes, not so much. Now, an NT gold reef find capable of spurring white settlement numbers in the same league as Western Australia between 1891 and 1901 (WA's colonist...
  4. M

Some thoughts on 1949 Australian election

I think MacIntyre is probably accurate with that hundred grand figure; I'd go as far as to say it undercounts the volunteer labor of bank workers who were doing a lot of activist work, some being impressed into it, but many being genuine true believers in the fight. On capitalism in Oz...
  5. M

If he doesn't have the bank issue to consolidate his leadership from 1947, and he still goes on a six month world tour in 1948/49 (that's not a typo, he really was out of the country that long) then at that point I think he's only hanging on going into the 1949 election simply because Dick Casey...
  6. M

Bromley goes Lib Dem = Gordon goes for it?

Why not a surprise Cameron surge/Lib Dem feint surge three years early? Let's move up the era of opinion polling surprises by a decade. (My implied point being that 2007 is a bad time to win a UK general election.)
  7. M

Attlee Gets His Majority: 1950 General Election change

Nye reconciling himself to the H-bomb earlier and harder for in-office pragmatic reasons, this is a negative for the maximalist Left in the long run, surely.
  8. M

Alternate Historiography: Was the An Lushan Rebellion the original "World War"?

It seems a better candidate that the Thirty Years War.
  9. M

Something I posted at the other place, which sums up my starting point for thinking about the federal election that brought the Liberal-Country Coalion to power, and lead to Labor being consigned to Opposition for 23 years: This is a subject close to my heart, the first substantive debate I...
  10. M

If those who had died in "their time" had lived longer (if Oscar Wilde had seen WWI and other ideas)

The idea that he might have gone down the path of Woodrow Wyatt or Paul Johnson, of becoming a mix of neoconservative and Thatcherite, is I think a popular one. But what if he simply becomes another JB Priestley or Graham Greene, that is, simply unfashionable for non-provocative reasons? (His...
  11. M

Just crapping out beans all over the place

Just crapping out beans all over the place
  12. M

AHC: More combined political movements and artistic movements

I have listened to a bit of Zappa over the last year or so, and to be honest as much as I've liked his stuff, particularly the earlier Mothers era, and have agreed with positive, non-culty reviewers he has, there is definitely maybe the case to be made that he's a non-musically-talented (me)...
  13. M

Is over here, role playing as new member

Is over here, role playing as new member
  14. M

He was a college dropout who taught himself to arrange, play and record music across different genres. You don't like his stuff? If so, I'd be careful who you mention that opinion to online.;)
  15. M

Yes, a version of the Objectivist not-a-cult-ok-it's-a-cult is what I was thinking. But in my mind, if he was alive and in control, it would have been straight edge, though. He wasn't anti-drugs, but there's a strain there of him always being quietly, personally opposed to the excesses of the...
  16. M

Frank Zappa is interesting, in that while he was technnically brilliant in the composition of music, he basically had no scholastic foundation for his high functioning abilities, certainly no formal musicology, reading in humanities, etc. Ok, so the writers of his wikipedia page might think...
Back