• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. R

What if the PRC from 1 December, 1949, is ISOT'ed back 30 years to 1 December, 1919?

What if the PRC from 1 December, 1949, is ISOT'ed back 30 years to 1 December, 1919? This is the entire territory sovereignly controlled by the PRC, so the only exceptions are the remaining foreign leasehold territories, which in 1949 were the Portuguese leased Macau, British leased Hong Kong...
  2. R

What if Japan attacked the Dutch East Indies in 1936?

What if Japan had attacked the Dutch East Indies in 1936, based on lobbying from the Navy to gain the valuable archipelago located at the strategic maritime crossroads of the Indian and Pacific Oceans, offering Japan a position outflanking Singapore and Manila Bay, and providing already...
  3. R

If the Triple Entente lost WWI, it is likely that Britain, not France, would have been the most revanchist of the three

There is a what I think is a "trope" in popular alternate history imaginings and speculations, written into a few different novels, and games or game settings like GURPS alternate earths, where if Germany wins WWI, it inverts Germany and France in the postwar years, France instead of Germany...
  4. R

What if the Soviets and satellites invaded Yugoslavia in late summer 1950?

In the absence of a Korean War, the major Communist powers may have been cooking up two other major fiestas for later in 1950 or 1951. The Chinese, planning an invasion of Taiwan, for which they were rapidly expanding their Navy and Air Force and massing troops in their southeastern Fujian...
  5. R

Could India have won all its Aksai Chin border territory back from China if offered US aid $, equipment advice in similar # to South Vietnam?

Could India have kept fighting in 1962 and won all its border territory back from China (mainly the Aksai Chin in the northwest around Kashmir, because China yielded the Northeast frontier regions voluntarily) if offered US aid $, equipment advice in similar quantity to what the US was giving...
  6. R

What if Diem loses the Battle of Saigon - 1955

I found this a really interesting scenario to speculate about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saigon_(1955), but I can't take credit for it. Credit has to go to our own @Japhy, who posted the idea on another forum over a dozen years ago. It got one thoughtful reply, but not a discussion...
  7. R

ASB scenario - Communist lands of Sept. 1949 replaced by ISOT'ed equivalents of Sept. 1909

In this alternate timeline (ATL), an androgynous ASB by the name of John Birch Ayn Rand F. Buckley Snuffaluffaguss, observing earth, notices the Soviet Union's first atomic device test on August 29th, and concludes: "Enough is enough, I do not want those Commies having this destructive nuclear...
  8. R

What if Germany's Operation Rosselsprung in 1944 is successful at killing Tito?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_R%C3%B6sselsprung_(1944) Operation Rösselsprung (German: Unternehmen Rösselsprung, lit. 'Knight's move') was a combined airborne and ground assault by the German XV Mountain Corps and collaborationist forces on the Supreme Headquarters of the Yugoslav...
  9. R

What if a Kennedy Administration without a Castro Cuba?

What if there is no Cuban revolution of 1959? How will this impact not only Cuba, but the United States, a presumed Kennedy Administration, and global geopolitics of the early 1960s? That's where I want to go with this speculation. But of course, I need to rewind things back, to illustrate how...
  10. R

Plausibility check- Could France & French Indochina have been disinterested in Laos, crisis with Siam, and common border with British Burma?

Laos was the last, least populous, and least valuable piece added to French Indochina, and had basically been tributary provinces of Siam beforehand. 1893 Franco-Siamese crisis - Wikipedia Before 1893 it was shown on maps as part of Siam, and French Indochina, at least since the French...
  11. R

Alternate history challenge - 19th century USA Northern Secession "Hat Trick"

Here is an alternate history challenge for you, and it is in my view perhaps an implausible, or impossible challenge, requiring the conquest of three thresholds to score "Hat Trick" and win a "Triple Crown". It is to replicate some of the most basic features of the American Civil War, but in...
  12. R

Indochina in the late 40s if D'Argenlieu dies and Leclerc lives?

What if Admiral Thierry D'Argenlieu, who kicked off the heavy fighting phase of the French Indochina War with the bombing of Haiphong in November 1946 (that also ended the prior mutual French and Viet Minh position-taking and negotiating phase and the Ho-Sainteny agreement of 1945) had died of...
  13. R

What if Henry Clay won the election of 1844?

1844 – Clay wins, refuses to annex Texas. He does reach a settlement, achieving peaceful partition of Oregon at the 49th parallel, with Britain. In his term, Florida, Iowa, and Wisconsin are admitted as states, ultimately disrupting free state-slave state parity in the Senate, to the...
  14. R

What if the Bush Administration did not push for all-Palestinian elections in January 2006?

What if the Bush Administration did not push for all-Palestinian elections in January 2006? This was part and parcel of the process leading a Hamas led Palestinian Authority government over Israeli-evacuated Gaza and various West Bank towns, where other parties like Fatah still operated, but...
  15. R

Bolder than Inchon: The Marines hit Nampo (Chinampo), North Korea, Sept 15th, 1950 - an operational comparison study

According to a Military Review magazine article, the three candidate points for an amphibious descent on Korea for the UN forces at the end of summer 1950 were Inchon, Kunsan (in southwest Korea, and the favorite of most observers) and Chinampo, the port serving Pyongyang. Chinampo is most often...
  16. R

What if Europeans/Christians disappeared worldwide in 1630 AD?

What if Europeans/Christians disappeared worldwide in 1630 AD? What if, by power and caprice invested in ASB, all Christians around the globe disappeared in 1630AD. To avoid a gratuitously “mass death” scenario or cruelty for the sake of cruelty, be assured they go to a “happy place” that I...
  17. R

WI some of 5th century BC Gaul ISOTs to 1533, overwriting all lands of the Kingdom of France?

[apologies for the ASB ISOT overload, but that's where I am right now. If not your thing, I suggest a skip on this one] In 1533 AD, shortly after the Kingdom of France, under Francis I receives the first Ottoman Embassy in Paris for him to plot aligned measures against the Habsburg empire of...
  18. R

AHC: The medieval Jin dynasty defeat the Song to unify China

Could the Jin dynasty, who in OTL conquered northern China from the northern Song dynasty, unify China by conquering southern China as well? What would be required for this to happen? Jin enhancements to leadership or luck? Song screw-ups? The Jin fell to the Mongols a couple decades before...
  19. R

WI Roman Hispania is ISOT to an alt 1392 Spain, overwriting all lands of the Christian Kingdoms of Iberia?

What if Roman Hispania, from the the date of the death of Julius Caesar in 44 BC, is ISOT to an alt 1392 Spain, overwriting all lands of the Christian Kingdoms of Iberia? So, this replaces all of 1392's "Spain" (including the Balearics) and Portugal except for the Nasrid Emirate of Granada...
  20. R

AHC: Endemic multi-front warfare between Spain and the Ottomans, in 1475-1675 timeframe

I think it is fair to say that Spain and the Ottomans were unsympathetic to each other and had a spiritual and political antipathy in OTL in which they would cheerlead each other's opponents and support the failure of the other. Their fleets did clash directly at Lepanto. Possibly on a couple...
Back