• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. H

Never Mind The Bollocks

I know there's the whole "Jagger went to LSE with a view to becoming a politician or a journalist" angle but the idea for me actually came from learning that Heseltine was the editor of a mod fanzine in the 1960s.
  2. H

Never Mind The Bollocks

I once had an idea for a vignette where "Michael"* becomes the leader of the Conservative Party in the 1980s then resigns in the 1997 in favour of his annointed successor, "Toneh"**. * Jagger. ** 'Adleh' ou' a' Spandah Balleh.
  3. H

Chains of Consequences: Die Hard With a Reference

Die Hard is one of those rare blockbuster movies that has a perfect screenplay, like Sleuth or Chinatown or The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. There is no wastage. It's always funny to read about episodes like the near-death experience you alluded to leading to the screenwriter adding lots of...
  4. H

The Rise and Fall (And Possible Rise?) Of Girls Comics, Part Three

Indeed, and I have heard that there has been criticism of both groups in the sense that the people making the manga tend to pander to them at the expense of the wider audience, but quite honestly that could be said of any comics anywhere in the world.
  5. H

Like I said in my own thread a while ago, the interesting comparison to draw in my mind is between CardCaptor Sakura or Sailor Moon and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. The former two were created by women with a female audience in mind (the manga were in any event; the Sailor Moon anime was notably...
  6. H

I guess that's when the early Manga Entertainment dubs of things like Angel Cop and Mad Bull were going out of their way to "fifteen" the shows (which were already incredibly trashy) by adding loads of gratuitous cursing to make the viewers feel like they were getting away with something by...
  7. H

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

So here's something I've repeated for ages even though, to the best of my knowledge, it has never been confirmed. The story goes that when Crisis On Infinite Earths came out, Marv Wolfman tried to convince the publishers of DC Comics that as part of the relaunch, they should completely rename...
  8. H

Buy Misty For Me

Of course, I could easily see a sort of bad time for a comic like that where it ends up snagging a predominantly male fanbase who decide the comic is "for" them. Has happened in the past with things originally aimed at (or even just originally popular with) a mostly female audience. I mentioned...
  9. H

Buy Misty For Me

This series has been really interesting to read - I've really enjoyed it a lot and I feel like I have learned a lot about comics from it. It is a little sad that I don't really know a lot about British comics, but when I was growing up, it was DC Thompson and Sonic the Comic and then if you...
  10. H

Irish Expedition of 1796

I wasn't trying to say, "Hoche would have turned out exactly like Humbert," I was giving an example of another attempted French invasion via Ireland that occurred to me. My understanding has always been that Humbert did quite well in the circumstances, enough so that one may question how far he...
  11. H

Irish Expedition of 1796

I believe an expeditionary force was successfully landed a short time later under General Humbert and managed to cause some trouble before it was defeated by General Lake.
  12. H

I feel like that might be a non-starter in Japan because most of the most popular manga are released on a weekly basis in anthology magazines while original video animation was (I'm given to understand it's not as viable as it used to be, what with the Internet being a factor now) its own thing...
  13. H

Popular Culture Without E.T.

Even The Birth of a Nation wasn't groundbreakingly innovative so much as it consolidated all the innovations that were going on in silent cinema in the early 1910s around it. (I don't really know a lot about the history of cinema but I wonder if perhaps we give The Birth of a Nation too much...
  14. H

Here's a very brief reference I found on the Internet: https://www.uk-anime.net/Anime/Guyver,_The_(Manga_Ent.).html
  15. H

Marvel tried their hand at releasing comics on dvd in the mid-2000s with Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and Avengers at least. You would get a disc (or maybe multiple discs; I never had any of them) with 500 issues of each series on it. I think that was more of a precursor to something like Marvel...
  16. H

I'm just saying, there's, "Is this movie influential?" and there's, "Is this movie good?" and the answer to both questions don't have to be the same. Lots of people dislike, say, Jar-Jar Binks (not me, though), but the leap forward in motion capture technology that Jar-Jar represented can't...
  17. H

Oh, yeah, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? happened almost entirely because Spielberg wanted it to happen. At the absolute least, the Disney characters are in it because Spielberg wanted them in it and in 1988, even the Walt Disney Company coud not say no to Steven Spielberg. It's not really a...
  18. H

2001: A Space Odyssey is about the development of tools.
  19. H

One of the single maddest Dark Age sales gimmicks was the Malibu Comics book Firearm #1, which came with a half-hour live-action short-film on vhs which led into the story in the comic.
  20. H

It is interesting that if you go on eBay and search "anime vhs" almost every single item will be a UK tape with a Manga Entertainment logo. You'd expect it would just be American releases, but no, loads of old UK anime stuff. And it tends not to be Dragon Ball Z or Tenchi Muyo! or anything else...
Back