• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Ricardolindo

1. R

Frankish Northern Gaul

In our timeline, the Franks did manage to Germanize some Romance areas, ie the Rhineland, Alsace-Lorraine and Flanders.
  2. R

Frankish Northern Gaul

If the Franks had only conquered Northern Gaul, ie everything north of the Loire, could they have Germanized it?
  3. R

Moroccan colony in the Caribbean

If, say, the Marinids seized the Canary Islands before Castile did, as suggested by @iainbhx at http://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/muslim-guanche.3222/, they would have a good base for New World expeditions.
  4. R

Thank you for the clarification. The problem is that Morocco never had a seafaring tradition.
  5. R

Moroccan Sultan Ahmad al-Mansur was interested in acquiring a sugar island in the Caribbean in cooperation with England. What if Morocco did get a sugar island in the Caribbean? Which island are they most likely to get? Could they have held it in the long term?
  6. R

Surviving Avar Khaganate

I don't think such an early point of divergence is necessary to save the Avar Khaganate. Their war with the Franks was long and it was definitely possible for them to have won. Also, I think the Avars are much more likely to go Latin Rite than Greek Rite, just like the Magyars did, because they...
  7. R

Surviving Avar Khaganate

Could the Avar Khaganate have assimilated the Magyars once they arrived in Pannonia?
  8. R

Mongols invade Hungary around 1250

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Before anyone else claims Europe was too poor for the Mongols to conquer, the Mongols apparently even conquered the Arctic tribes, read...
  9. R

Who could be a "Democratic Reagan?"

I'm saying that conservatives in the style of Reagan and Thatcher weren't inevitable. Elsewhere in the Western world, economic liberalization was led by social democrats or more moderate conservatives.
  10. R

Economic liberalization was inevitable by the 70s but the rightwards shift in the US and the UK was was not. Have Ford win in 1976 and the Conservatives win in 1974 to prevent them.
  11. R

I don't buy 1972 as indicating a shift. McGovern was of the New Left. He was not a traditional liberal.
  12. R

What caused the Overton window to shift to the right was the disastrous Carter administration. Carter was not a liberal but the failures of his administration became associated with liberalism.
  13. R

Greek language without Islam

1. By the time of the Arab invasions, the Anatolian languages appear to have become extinct. Also, Western Armenia has only been considered part of Anatolia since the Armenian Genocide. It was traditionally regarded as part of the Armenian Highlands, a different region. 2. That's true. I now...
  14. R

Greek language without Islam

Sorry for the late reply, but I will expand on each of the three regions: 1. The Levant had a lot of Greek settlement and Hellenization along the coasts. If the Greeks were eventually able to Hellenize all of Anatolia, I don't see why they couldn't have done the same with the Levant. 2. Egypt...
  15. R

Surviving Avar Khaganate

What if the Avar Khaganate had been able to defeat the Franks? The Khaganate had an apparently Turkic Avar elite ruling over a mostly Slavic population. I'm sure they would convert to Christianity. Anyways, the Avars had apparently adopted the language of their Slavic subjects but were bilingual...