• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by prime-minister

1. P

PM's Election Maps And Stuff Thread

I had a sudden idea for something I wanted to make that- gasp!- isn't politics or map-related. So I assume most people are aware of the story about how Nintendo were trying to get the rights to make a Popeye game when in the process of making Donkey Kong in 1981, and created Mario and Donkey...
  2. P

Max's election maps and assorted others

It's surreal to me to remember how tiny the city councils of major American cities are, given how many British and Swedish council maps I've seen on these forums that elect about twice to four times as many members as LA for a population that's closer to that of Burbank. I think LA might...
  3. P

Thanks! I should clarify the population figures start to diverge from OTL much earlier than when partition happened- Belfast grew massively during the 19th century, but at the end of the 18th it had a population of around 20,000 whereas Dublin city already had over 130,000 people, plus another...
  4. P

I guess the difficulty is finding a title that's equally respectful of Ireland's political independence and not dismissing their position as a Commonwealth nation under the British monarch. Maybe they just keep the 'Kingdom' title until the Statute of Westminster or the formal creation of the...
  5. P

Thank you! And that's a good point, but I was thinking since the Irish monarchy was in personal union with the British since the Tudor period, it occupies the same position as the other non-republic Commonwealth countries. So the British monarch is technically the king/queen of Ireland in the...
  6. P

Threadmarks: Dominion of Ireland 2022

I see your ‘what if Ireland was all still part of the UK?’ and ‘what if Ireland was reunified?’ TLs and raise you… whatever this insanity I’ve spent the last few days making and writing up is. Is it realistic? Probably not. Was it a blast to write and make a map for? Absolutely. * Ireland is...
  7. P

Threadmarks: Charlottetown Accord referendum in Quebec, 1992

I've been planning a little Canada project picking up on where Max left off (and I've done an extensive redraw to update his 1979-88 electoral map to a 1988-97 one), but I'm taking a little time on the writeup and having some trouble finding majority results by riding for the Charlottetown...
  8. P

Threadmarks: Northern Ireland Assembly 1998

And here's the Assembly's first election. The Assembly went back to being elected by STV and bumped all the constituencies from five seats to six, while removing all the top-up seats. As with my Eire maps, which use the same system but with variably-sized constituencies, I've done maps by...
  9. P

Threadmarks: Northern Ireland Forum

Sorry I've been absent for a while, but I made a little thing since it was Good Friday the other day. The Northern Ireland Forum is one of the four often-forgotten precursors to the NI Assembly set up during the Troubles, and was the one which represented the province in the run-up to the Good...
  10. P

Max's election maps and assorted others

Very nice work as always. I somehow didn't actually realise there was a majority-Sami speaking part of Finnish Lapland, though apparently Inari is overwhelmingly Finnish nowadays. I'd be interested to see, if or when you get to the early 20th century, whether the Tsar's Russification efforts...
  11. P

Here's the slightly belated follow-up. Apologies for the numbers changing between nominees, I know it might be a bit confusing but it shows better how geographically spread out Hoh's support was compared to Lai's being more concentrated and highlights what little variance there was in Ko's...
  12. P

Threadmarks: Taiwan (president) 2024

I only remembered the other day Taiwan was holding its presidential election in January, and sort of expected it'd be a 'massive right-wing surge after two terms in power from the left' kind of election. I was a bit off. I'll probably do a follow-up map with both a clearer explanation of the...
  13. P

Threadmarks: Bulgaria 1991

Sometimes you just stumble on the resources to make a map in an evening and have to do it. It turns out everyone's favourite country that shares its name with a Womble has fairly easily accessible results online for its elections (well, I did have to track down a Cyrillic webpage to find how...
  14. P

Threadmarks: Liverpool 1983

One term of Thatcher later... While most of the country gave Labour a humiliating defeat in 1983, Liverpool actually swung towards them quite heavily, which isn't that surprising considering Thatcher's infamous disdain for the city. (This was reflected in the general election too, though, as...
  15. P

Threadmarks: Liverpool 1978

The Tories winning the popular vote in Liverpool? Led by Thatcher? Yeah, it actually happened. Admittedly the high watermark here didn't translate to winning enough seats to not come last of the three main parties, but the fact that even this good a result for the Tories happened in Liverpool...
Back