• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Feature requests

Meadow

The 2024 General Election (2025)
Administrator
Sea Lion Press staff
Published by SLP
Pronouns
he/him
Please post requests for features on the forum in this thread. Not all suggestions will be taken on board, but my goal is to be as accomodating as possible.

Reactions: OHC
A number of users had pointed out that links in posts were black, making them impossible to spot without mousing over. This has now been fixed, they are now yellow.

Been having a few issues posting images. I get messages like 'too large to load' and stuff like that.

Can we have a threadmarks feature? It's very useful for managing longer threads.
Threadmarks unfortunately aren't a default feature, and the tried-and-tested free addon isn't compatible with XenForo 2.0, which this forum runs on. There's a paid option that looks like it will work, but I want to read more reviews before I spend any more of the SLP's money. This is on the list, however.

Been having a few issues posting images. I get messages like 'too large to load' and stuff like that.
Are you pasting them in directly, or hosting them off-site and linking? At the moment the attachment size limit is 1mb, which many images these days are bigger than.

Pasting them directly.
That will mean they get attached to this forum, and thus hit the attachment size limit if it applies. You can try hosting them elsewhere, or I can increase the size limit - there will be Consequences to that, however.

Am I missing a setting that clears alerts from the top bar. They don't go when I read the reply when someone quotes me.

Firefox

If I click on the actual alert its fine but if I read the thread anyway it stays.
That doesn't seem to happen for me either, I'm in Chrome. Not sure what to suggest, sorry.

Lot of writers here and it looks like we're gearing to have a bunch of writing contests, with lots of stories posted there. If member-protected, stuff posted there won't be seen as 'previously published' and can be safely sent to publishers for future publication.
Okay, sounds reasonable enough. Both this and First Drafts have been made registered users only.

Not a forum feature request, just general feedback, but given there doesn't seem to be any more appropriate place for that (A forum suggestion itself?):

I've seen at least three people so far say outside the forum that they don't feel any point in joining up here as they don't write. I understand that the forum wants a USP but I'm concerned that the feeling people are getting from things at the moment is that this is only a forum where SLP authors and people who routinely write go to talk about writing. I know that's not the case - I didn't join up here just to write - but it's not what people seem to be taking away at the moment. It probably needs to be emphasised in future that this is a broader alternate history community and not just a creative writing forum, because it seems to be potentially inhibiting growth. 'Will I be welcome here' is usually a big generalised issue in terms of signing up to a new forum but this seems like a particularly specific issue.

Not a forum feature request, just general feedback, but given there doesn't seem to be any more appropriate place for that (A forum suggestion itself?):

I've seen at least three people so far say outside the forum that they don't feel any point in joining up here as they don't write. I understand that the forum wants a USP but I'm concerned that the feeling people are getting from things at the moment is that this is only a forum where SLP authors and people who routinely write go to talk about writing. I know that's not the case - I didn't join up here just to write - but it's not what people seem to be taking away at the moment. It probably needs to be emphasised in future that this is a broader alternate history community and not just a creative writing forum, because it seems to be potentially inhibiting growth. 'Will I be welcome here' is usually a big generalised issue in terms of signing up to a new forum but this seems like a particularly specific issue.

You may have a point, but a major issue - well, 'issue' - is that AH.com is still a going concern and will therefore still be the primary AH community, especially as it's still got SW, Fanon etc. SLP can't really usurp AH.com unless the latter collapses; and I can't see that happening any time soon

Obviously Meadow and AndyC will have their views, and I'm sure want to see it grow, but that won't happen overnight. Personally I'd like to see slow but steady growth, as this is obviously a quality product with a slightly different ethos. Perhaps that needs defining - but then again the forum's been up for, what, a week? It needs time, and it's not like there's an advertising budget (or really a way to 'advertise' per se)

I never believed this forum would become a peak community overnight - AH.com certainly did not. For this to grow it needs to stay the course over literally years, not a week. But I'm not sure you're grasping what I'm saying. I'm not saying randomers are saying they just don't fancy it at the moment. I'm saying people who should be this site's natural supporters - Politbrits, alternate history people without a home etc - are saying they don't see the point of joining up because they see it as too niche, they see it as the SLP author/writers only forum. If we can't attract those people over now, then making this forum a going concern over the long-term looks pretty Sisyphean.

I think the USPs for this place are pretty excellent, and it gives me a positive feel for the place which I've never felt before for any other-than-AH.com board, I've already felt myself mentally detaching from AH.com - but I think it's worth us saying and stressing that we welcome as many people as possible with as many diverse reasons for joining up as possible, and want this forum to have a mass membership, and it's not just a secondary or tertiary add-on to the USPs.

I don't want this to become a Between Two Waves-style forum, basically a forum for a certain AH.com clique which only has relevance to them, which I'm worried it can become if we over-emphasise the aspect of this being a writer's forum. I want this to be welcoming to people who have a general interest in alternate history, or history generally. That will benefit SLP and it will benefit the writers.

Back