• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WW2-like division of the world

0.42@632

It seems that 1984's huge superstates were inspired by the empires/occupation zones of the various powers during WW2 and how fast they expanded:
1627235114500.png

Is it plausible to get a 1984-like scenario where New Imperialism occurs and a WW2-scale conflict later occurs but both sides stalemate with most of the world divided between different quasi-imperial powers?

Last edited:
All of the stuff with COVID makes me wonder whether this might be possible in an alternate WW2-style conflict which ends due to the widespread use of biological weapons (i,e. Unit 731 on steroids instead of a Manhattan Project). What do you reckon?

All of the stuff with COVID makes me wonder whether this might be possible in an alternate WW2-style conflict which ends due to the widespread use of biological weapons (i,e. Unit 731 on steroids instead of a Manhattan Project). What do you reckon?
That's entirely possible, especially with 'walls' of Anthrax or some other biological/long-lasting chemical agent to force a stalemate

But even with fixed external borders (anthrax and barbed wire) internal politics will change (although no empire will ever fully liberalize with atomic siege and 'war authoritarianism' rampant in even the most democratic ones) and I expect a limited degree of decolonization even in the worst scenario (India or Free France for instance)

Last edited:
But even with fixed external borders (anthrax and barbed wire) internal politics will change (although no empire will ever fully liberalize with atomic siege and 'war authoritarianism' rampant in even the most democratic ones) and I expect a limited degree of decolonization even in the worst scenario (India or Free France for instance)
The thing with the bioweapons route, though, is the question of whether the colonies would be capable of independently developing and distributing their own cures, vaccines and countermeasures- especially if the weaponized agents employed are capable of mutating into new strains and variants on their own accord, and can't be 'put back into the bottle'. Looking at what's happened recently... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/14/rich-countries-surplus-covid-vaccines
...couldn't it be entirely plausible that the imperial powers would take this to another level, and may be capable of retaining a greater hold over their colonies via the controlled dissemination (and withdrawal) of medical supplies and treatments, which would be far more critical and essential for day-to-day survival ITTL than IOTL? Famines and greater poverty almost always boost anti-colonial sentiment, and calls for greater regional self-government; but do plagues and pandemics have the same effect? Or entirely the opposite effect?

The thing with the bioweapons route, though, is the question of whether the colonies would be capable of independently developing and distributing their own cures, vaccines and countermeasures- especially if the weaponized agents employed are capable of mutating into new strains and variants on their own accord, and can't be 'put back into the bottle'. Looking at what's happened recently... https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/14/rich-countries-surplus-covid-vaccines
...couldn't it be entirely plausible that the imperial powers would take this to another level, and may be capable of retaining a greater hold over their colonies via the controlled dissemination (and withdrawal) of medical supplies and treatments, which would be far more critical and essential for day-to-day survival ITTL than IOTL? Famines and greater poverty almost always boost anti-colonial sentiment, and calls for greater regional self-government; but do plagues and pandemics have the same effect? Or entirely the opposite effect?
India ... might but most colonies (and the Uncolonized-but-very-backwards Occupied Nations) don't
Also Orwell believed nations like Burma could not become independent at all

Back