• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: Portuguese Fleet Capsizes, 1808

Uhura's Mazda

ðat þegn/þegm þussȜ
Published by SLP
Apologies, this is going to be an incredibly 'Who Would The HMS Hood Marry' post, but I got thinking last night about who would be the heir to the Portuguese throne in 1808 if things had gone rather worse for J o a o. For the uninitiated, Portugal tried to remain neutral for as long as possible after the French invasion of Spain, but ultimately the royal court fled to Brazil a couple of days before the French army arrived in Lisbon, under the 'protection' of a British squadron who performed this service on the condition that Brazil's trade be opened up to all of Portugal's allies (i.e. literally just Britain, now that Prince Regent Joao had thrown his lot in with the Anglos).

Now, an Atlantic crossing wasn't exactly a done deal in those days, and the Portuguese fleet wasn't the most seaworthy in existence. IOTL they were lucky with the weather and only lost one (relatively unimportant) ship, but let's say there's a storm. Well, the first thing to point out is that all of the male members of the royal family were on a single ship, so if that goes down, mad Queen Maria's heir would be Prince Joao's eldest daughter Maria Teresa (who later married Infante Carlos of Spain and forced him to rebel on behalf of her absolutist ideas). But you'd only need to sink two more boats for the entire royal family to drown. Let's imagine all of these are wrecked with no survivors.

Queen Maria, her son and regent Joao, and all of his children are dead. Who's next? Well, Joao's late sister married a Spanish Infante and had a son, Pedro Carlos, who IOTL was at one stage considered as a future monarch of Argentina. But he lived with his Portuguese relatives, so he's dead. Joao also has a couple of aunts, Maria's sisters, but they're also at the bottom of the Atlantic (and are also too old to provide any more heirs, even if they survive - but that at least would take you to about 1830).

Other than these, there are no legitimate descendants of Maria's father, grandfather, great-grandfather or great-great-grandfather - Joao IV, who founded the royal Braganza dynasty by rebelling against the Spanish in 1640. Joao IV wasn't the genealogically senior heir, but he had the benefit of being rich and powerful and descended from the previous royal family. So you could go back to the House of Aviz and trace the line down - but that ends up with the King of Spain, who's just abdicated at Bayonne and in any case wouldn't be the preferred option for the Portuguese. So how about Joao IV's siblings? No issue. The best you can get is the descendants of his uncle, Duarte, younger son of the Infanta Caterina from whom the Braganzas' claim to legitimacy derives.

Duarte was around when the Braganzas were a major noble family of questionable loyalty to the Kings of Spain, so he was given a large estate in Castille... but not very defensible or close to Portugal. His great-grandson was Manuel Joaquin Alvarez de Toledo Portugal, Count of Oropesa, notable as one of Carlos II of Spain's main ministers. Manuel favoured the Austrian side in the War of Spanish Succession, as did his son Pedro Vicente, who was exiled to Vienna at the end of the war. He returned to Spain in 1725, only to die three years later. His own son died another ten days after that, so we have to look at Pedro Vicente's daughters (both of them, confusingly, named Ana Maria). The elder one married the Duke of Escalona and died a year later, having given birth to a daughter, who - as a major heiress - was married off three times, firstly to her own uncle. It runs in the family. Anyway, she died childless in 1768.

The other Ana Maria married the Duke of Alba and had a son, who died fairly young in 1770. He only had a daughter, Maria Teresa, who inherited the Dukedom and married a cousin. She was a patron of Goya and apparently used to go around seducing bullfighters and upstaging the Queen of Spain by wearing identical dresses to her. Anyway, she died childless in 1802, six years before the exodus. With 56 titles of nobility, she was the most ennobled member of the 19th century Spanish aristocracy.

That means we have to go back to Prime Minister Manuel a hundred years before, whose daughter married the Duke of Uceda and had nine children. The heir in 1808, then, was Diego Fernandez de Velasco, Duke of Uceda, who died in 1811 and would therefore have been the 'rightful' heir to Portugal if the royal family had all drowned in the Atlantic. One problem: he was an afrancesado and a big supporter of the Bonapartes. Maybe Napoleon could make him a client King of Portugal? It certainly complicates the justification for the British to go into the peninsula, if they aren't defending the interests of an allied King. Diego's son was actually part of the army that invaded Portugal in 1808, although apparently he deserted to become a partisan. Bernardino Fernandez de Velasco was a moderate liberal and served as Prime Minister of Spain briefly in 1838. There's a bit of complexity around the legitimacy of his son, but if you're wondering, the current heir to this line is Angela Maria de Solis-Beaumont y Tellez-Giron, Duchess of Arcos and Osuna. You're welcome.

I presume that, in reality, the British would still find a pretext to counter France in Portugal and Spain, and that Portugal would be given to some random prince, either at Britain's invitation or at the Congress of Vienna. But without the unifying force of an entrenched dynasty and the machinery of the royal court, you probably get a load of balkanised republics in Brazil fairly soon after 1808.

Didn't realise the Bragancas were that thin on the ground.

Are there any bastards about who could make the step up? Probably worth thinking about when the legitimate heir is this tenuous.
The thought did cross my mind - after all, the House of Braganza and the House of Aviz were both founded by bastards.

There were a few acknowledged illegitimate children of the House of Braganza, but the only line still around in 1808 was the family of Miguel, son of Pedro II (great-grandfather of Maria II). Miguel's son founded the Portuguese Academy of Sciences but embarrassed himself as a military leader - in any case, he died in 1806, so the only surviving members of the family were his two daughters, the elder of whom was 11 at the time of the exodus. (And I would guess she was on board as well).

A legend surely develops where, just as the coward monarchs sailed into the storm and were slain for their cowardice, one day The Good King Henry the Navigator will sail back to Lisbon to protect Portugal in it’s darkest hour.
Although apparently the Portuguese don't call him Henry the Navigator, which is one of the best real-life "In China, amazingly, no-one actually eats Chinese food" facts.

Is Brazil going to end up de facto independent decades earlier here, or find Britain imposing a client ruler 'on behalf of Portugal'?

Is Brazil going to end up de facto independent decades earlier here, or find Britain imposing a client ruler 'on behalf of Portugal'?
Britain probably isn't going to do an armed intervention unless some local commander goes mental (i.e. Rio de la Plata, 1806) or the government in London gets lobbied for decades (i.e. the planned invasion of Venezuela, 1808). There's also no real incentive for them to intervene, as any Brazilian state will be in favour of free trade and that's all Britain wants in the region.

There almost certainly won't be a unified Brazil - that's very much a product of the presence of individuals and institutions transplanted from Portugal. You'd have a balkanisation akin to what was going on in Spanish America, and which was prevented by active suppression of revolts in Pernambuco etc.

IMHO, at this point, if the House of Braganza proper was extinguised, the country would rally around the Dukes of Lafões, a cadet branch of the Braganza started almost a century before.
I mentioned them upthread - I personally don't think people would rally around an 11 year old girl with no legal right to the throne as a wartime leader, tbh.

I'm landing on either a prominent nobleman, not necessarily related the thr Braganzas, or a random foreign prince chosen by Britain as part of some arcane transactional diplomacy.

I mentioned them upthread - I personally don't think people would rally around an 11 year old girl with no legal right to the throne as a wartime leader, tbh.

I'm landing on either a prominent nobleman, not necessarily related the thr Braganzas, or a random foreign prince chosen by Britain as part of some arcane transactional diplomacy.
The Dukes of Cadaval are another more distant cadet branch and would be recognised as legitimate claimants if for any reason the Lafões were not chosen. The country would not accept well a foreign prince chosen by another country.

Edit: Sorry for missing your reference to the Lafões, I haven't been myself.
Edit2: However, from a legal point of view, and that would hold weight in the Cortes, it's the Lafões that would be the senior line, her age would not be an issue, maybe her gender, although a few decades later, the country had no problem in accepting Maria II (João VI's grand-daughter) as Queen.
Edit3: clarified a bit the first response.

Last edited:
Back