• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: German Venezuela/'Klein-Venedig' endures?

SinghSong

Pronouns
he/him
IOTL, in 1528, the leader of Augsburg loaned the Habsburg Emperor Charles V a large sum of money. The emperor, however, did not have the money and/or will to pay them back- so instead of giving a cash settlement, he gifted them Augsburg the colony of Venezuela (which was renamed Klein-Venedig) in exchange. However, Augsburg was unable and/or unwilling to bother even attempting to maintain this colony, so the Habsburgs took it back from them 18 years later.

But what if they'd been both ready and willing to invest the effort required to do so? How might they have conceivably managed to maintain their colony, how long could they plausibly have done so in a best-case scenario, and what sort of impact might the sustained existence of Klein-Venedig, in the place of OTL's Venezuela, have had upon the course of German, European, Latin American and World History?

Last edited:
My first thought is that if the Welser's seem to be doing a good job and getting any real gains out of the place, the Habsburgs are going to want it back after all. But then I see on wikipedia:

Bartholomäus's niece, Philippine (1527–80), daughter of Franz Welser, was renowned for her learning and beauty. She secretly married the Archduke Ferdinand, second son of the Emperor Ferdinand I. She was given the titles Baroness of Zinnenburg, Margravine of Burgau, Landgravine of Nellenburg and Countess of Oberhohenberg and Niederhohenberg. Their children were debarred from inheriting their father's rank as Archdukes of Austria; their son Margrave Andrew of Burgau became a cardinal and Charles, Margrave of Burgau became a noted general.

so Klein-Venedig probably lasts quite a bit, protected by the Habsburgs.

Unfortunately the Weslers were doing slave trading in the Caribbean so we can expect that to be a big part of how Klein-Venedig becomes profitable.

Back