• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Where did OTL's introduction of atomic weapons sit in multiversal probability curve of outcomes for the 20th century?

raharris1973

Well that question was a mouthful, wasn't it?

Here's what I mean, OTL's history of atomic weapons and their introduction, had several notable features:

- Theoretical physics leading up to it was worked out in the decades before the invention of the atomic bomb
- More advanced theoretical and practical physics making chain reactions possible was worked out over the decade preceding the invention of the bomb
- The motivation to achieve nuclear fission, in the form of an explosive bomb, and the industrial investment to attempt to do so was only brought about by a world war
- The bomb was not available in the middle of the war, or while victory and defeat was at issue between the sides; the bomb was in no way going to be available to the side that was struck by it
- The bomb was only available at the end of the war, after Japanese ability to win and meaningfully power project and successfully resist determined assaults was already destroyed by other means (naval warfare, amphibious warfare, submarine and mine-based blockade, conventional bombing) despite Japan still having men under arms, holding ground, and able to exact potentially high costs against attackers.
- So all in all, it was a "finishing weaponing", more than a 'tide-turning' weapon. Only two were used before Japan to surrender, it coincided with other damaging military-diplomatic blows - the Soviet DoW and attack. It was a such a "tail-end" part of WWII and demonstrative weapon that it generated some longstanding controversy over if it was necessary. (and what it was necessary for) ... --not the purpose of the thread to re-hash that...
- The new atomic weapons were seen as revolutionary in their implications, and shaped post-war strategies, and the US, and later USSR, and France and other countries designed their military capabilities around these weapons.
- These weapons were never used in war again over the next 75 years, still thousands of them were built and kept ready. Mid-sized wars of armies of significant countries like China and the USA fought each other in later years, with the use of atomic and nuclear weapons being taboo and off-limits.

Based on the general advance of natural science to where they were by 1900 AD, I would say that if you re-ran the 20th century from 1900 AD to 2000 AD, one hundred times, you could confidently say that in at least over 50% of the resulting timelines nuclear fission and probably nuclear fusion, would be discovered and demonstrated. Fission and fusion were more likely than not, barring some other disaster intervening to set back human technology.

But the politics of the 20th century could have been wildly different. The 8 particular characteristics of how atomic weapons were introduced in the world, used in combat twice, then never again except in tests, were not foreordained. Re-running one-hundred timelines from 1900 you could get many results quite different from what we had in OTL.

To name a few examples, we could have ended up with a world where:

- An atomic weapons program creates a usable weapon at an early stage of a war or at what appears to be a middle or equilibrium point in a war, and the weapon in small quantities (single-digits), or larger quantities (double-digits) is employed and is accurately seen as the decisive factor changing the outcome of the war. Conceivably this could lead to an era of single world government, empire, or at a minimum unipolarity under one power.
- Two atomic weapons programs create usable atomic weapons in wartime, between two adversaries or adversary coalitions, that are large and resilient enough, and in close enough succession, that the first atomic war, unlike OTL's, has two atomic combatants and lasts for more than three days, and sees significant widespread destruction beyond that known in OTL.
- An atomic weapon is developed in peacetime, and the power developing uses this impressive and revolutionary advantage in destructive power for diplomatic and political coercion, and/or adopts a ruthless program to ensure its monopoly on the technology. Such programs of coercion may succeed in forcing acquiesence, may be called out as BLUFs, and may or may not be ultimately enforced with atomic fire.
- Two or more powers develop atomic weapons in peacetime and those weapons deter anyone from attacking them, or if secret, the newly atomically armed powers do not up at war soon out of pure dumb luck. Eventually atomic capabilities are revealed, and much like OTL, there is a deterrent against their use, and their use is considered taboo, but without them ever being used in war, or outside a test setting
- An atomic weapon is developed in peacetime and the first atomic power attacks the second atomic power in the critical "window of opportunity" when the second power is about to catch up in terms of matching the first power in terms of weapon production capability, a usable weapon, a reliable delivery system, or a robust arsenal or atomic/nuclear weapons.
- An atomic weapons program is stimulated by a great war and makes great progress but does not reach all the way to completion and combat use before other circumstances end the war. Final development is put on ice. Alternative the device is demonstrated on a test range, but not an dramatic urban or simulated military target designed to terrify. A few years later there is a war or some regional conflict that the atomic armed power gets involved in. The atomic armed power makes an ultimatum it will use the weapon. The opposing side takes the ultimatum as a BLUF. The atomic power uses the weapon and achieves adversary surrender.
- Regardless of the specifics of atomic introduction, mass nuclear exchanges occur after mass nuclear forces are built, perhaps more than one time.

So that's seven ways the nuclear weapons introduction and history of the world could have gone differently than OTL.

If we re-ran the century a hundred times, which of these would be more common than OTL's scenario? Which would be less common?

Like would OTL's scenario happen 5, 10, 20 times. Would Mass nuclear exchange happen 5, 10, or 20 times. One nuclear power domination - how often would that happen? No nukes used ever? how often?

There's also one thing to consider: The US dropped the bomb on a country which was left practically without an airforce. If there was a halfway realistic chance that your enemy might shoot down your plane with one of the few, if not the only nuke you have, and thus may learn your secret - would you still do it? I also ask because I wonder: If the US had the bomb, and Imperial Japan/Nazi Germany/whoever was still standing strong - would they consider nuking?

There's also one thing to consider: The US dropped the bomb on a country which was left practically without an airforce. If there was a halfway realistic chance that your enemy might shoot down your plane with one of the few, if not the only nuke you have, and thus may learn your secret - would you still do it? I also ask because I wonder: If the US had the bomb, and Imperial Japan/Nazi Germany/whoever was still standing strong - would they consider nuking?

Good point - and I didn't even get into the issue of delivery system alternatives - in how many timelines is the first battle-use of an atomic weapon an air-dropped bomb, versus a rocket-warhead, versus sea-mine?

We actually know the answer to this thanks to Post-War interviews by General Groves:

REPORTER: General Groves, could we go back for a minute. You mentioned in your book [Now it Can Be Told] that just before the Yalta Conference that President Roosevelt said if we had bombs before the European war was over he would like to drop them on Germany. Would you discuss this?​
GROVES: At the conference that Secretary Stimson and myself had with President Roosevelt shortly before his departure, I believe it was December 30th or 31st of 1944, President Roosevelt was quite disturbed over the Battle of the Bulge and he asked me at that time whether I could bomb Germany as well as Japan. The plan had always been to bomb Japan because we thought the war in Germany was pretty apt to be over in the first place and in the second place the Japanese building construction was much more easily damaged by a bomb of this character than that in Germany. I urged President Roosevelt that it would be very difficult for various reasons.​
The main one was that the Germans had quite strong aerial defense. They made a practice, as every nation does, that when a new plane came into the combat area, that they would run any risk that they could to bring such a plane down so that they could examine it and see what new ideas had come in so that they could make improvements and also would know the characteristics of the plane so that they could prepare a better defense against it. We had no B-29’s in Europe. If we had sent over a small squadron or group as we did against Japan of this type, everyone of them would have been brought down on the first trip to Germany. If they hadn’t been, it would have been through no lack of effort on the part of the Germans.​
The alternative would be to bring a large number of B-29’s over to to England and that would have been a major logistical task and the other possibility would have been to have used a British plane which would not have been a bit pleasing to General Arnold and also would have created a great many difficulties for our general operation because then it would be an Allied operation with the United States furnishing the bombs and everything connected with it but using a British plane and a British crew to actually drop the bomb and it would have raised a tremendous number of difficulties.​
And difficulties like that — while you say you should be able to handle that — you can but in a project of this character there are so many little things, each one of them key, that you can’t afford to throw any more sand into the wheels that you can help.​
The bombing of Germany with atomic bombs was, I would say, never seriously considered to the extent of making definite plans but on this occasion I told the President, Mr. Roosevelt, why it would be very unfortunate from my standpoint, I added that of course if the President — if the war demanded it and the President so desired, we would bomb Germany and I was so certain personally that the war in Europe would be over before we would be ready that you might say I didn’t give it too much consideration.​

It's important to note that tacnukes became basically obsolete when better smart and cluster munitions entered service. You could get similar end effects without the issues of using a nuclear bomb. At the very least it made them less attractive.

This is a very interesting question and one where, I feel, we run into the limits of plausibility and will never know the answer. (I suppose a really good AI simulation of the 20th century might provide insights one day).

I have always had a sneaking suspicion that OTL is an outlier and many timelines would never build nuclear weapons at all. This generally goes against the AH orthodoxy on the subject. The OP mentions the need for progress in theoretical physics to know nuclear weapons are possible, which is a valid point. It's also worth noting that the idea of 'atomic weapons' was discussed quite early on, e.g. by H. G. Wells, in the broad definition of 'a weapon that involves converting matter to energy, unlocking the hidden energy of the atom, etc.' but without any awareness of how this might be possible. (For example, E. E. "Doc" Smith's "The Skylark of Space" from the 1910s has a spacecraft powered by 'atomic power', but the nuclear material is copper and the reaction is unlocked by a fictitious metal catalyst 'X').

However, I further think it'd be perfectly possible to have timelines - lots and lots of timelines - where theoretical physics is at least halfway certain a nuclear bomb is possible and roughly how to build one (i.e. basically the knowledge the US, France and Britain had in 1939) yet one simply never gets built. This may seem weird to us now, but remember just how much in the way of money and resources the Manhattan Project required to get to a bomb and how everything fell into place: a war against powers run by madmen seeking world domination, a project pushed by brilliant scientists who had fled persecution from those powers and feared them winning, a wealthy USA whose heartland was far from the conflict and could afford to spend money on a blue-skies, far-fetched weapons project. Once it was done once, it was relatively easy for others to copy (especially thanks to Soviet spies, of course) but getting to that first one could have failed at a dozen points. The USA could easily have been run by politicians unwilling to invest tax dollars in such a far-fetched idea - in fact historically it seems more likely than not. When the Bomb was produced in OTL, many feared that it might start a runaway chain reaction that'd ignite the atmosphere, and the move to go ahead with the Trinity Test was partly driven by paranoia that the Nazis might get there first. And so on.

What goes against this idea is the fact that so many powers were working on nuclear weapon projects during WW2. But given, just a few years earlier, disarmament had been doctrine in most Western powers, and it'd be hard to cover up a full-scale nuclear project in peacetime...I don't know, I can just picture a timeline where "did you know, it's theoretically possible to build a weapon that could destroy a whole city at once, but it'd cost billions and research is banned by the treaty of such-and-such" could be one of those obscure "we could have done this, but in hindsight it's unthinkable" facts like Project Orion or the Morgenthau Plan or something.

Last edited:
However, I further think it'd be perfectly possible to have timelines - lots and lots of timelines - where theoretical physics is at least halfway certain a nuclear bomb is possible and roughly how to build one (i.e. basically the knowledge the US, France and Britain had in 1939) yet one simply never gets built.

So in your view, you could easily have, 40 or 50 out of 100 timelines, where no nuclear bomb ever gets built by 2000?

No fission reactors for electrical power or vehicle propulsion purposes in those timelines either?

So in your view, you could easily have, 40 or 50 out of 100 timelines, where no nuclear bomb ever gets built by 2000?

No fission reactors for electrical power or vehicle propulsion purposes in those timelines either?
The latter part is an interesting question. There are probably TLs with fission reactors but not nuclear bombs, but in those ones the reactors are probably seen as a hazardous curiosity rather than a realistic way of producing power on a mass scale.

Another point to bear in mind is that being able to obtain uranium is not a given, depending on who controlled a few relatively small parts of the world

When the Bomb was produced in OTL, many feared that it might start a runaway chain reaction that'd ignite the atmosphere, and the move to go ahead with the Trinity Test was partly driven by paranoia that the Nazis might get there first.

"We must destroy the entire planet!"

"Why?"

"To prevent the Nazis from destroying the entire planet first!"

Reading about the Manhattan Project is always fun, if for no other reason than because it gives you this wonderful picture of just how crazy the people working on it actually were, sometimes to the point of outright making you uncomfortable. Feynman actually does reflect on in Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman! that most of them were living in this bubble where the war wasn't really happening in more than an almost fictitious, abstract sense. They weren't motivated by "We must save the world from Nazi aggression and Japanese imperialism!" but rather, "Wouldn't it be awesome if we were actually able to build such a devise as an atomic bomb?"

"We must destroy the entire planet!"

"Why?"

"To prevent the Nazis from destroying the entire planet first!"

Reading about the Manhattan Project is always fun, if for no other reason than because it gives you this wonderful picture of just how crazy the people working on it actually were, sometimes to the point of outright making you uncomfortable. Feynman actually does reflect on in Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman! that most of them were living in this bubble where the war wasn't really happening in more than an almost fictitious, abstract sense. They weren't motivated by "We must save the world from Nazi aggression and Japanese imperialism!" but rather, "Wouldn't it be awesome if we were actually able to build such a devise as an atomic bomb?"

I made a joke years ago when another poster asked why the Americans wanted to blow up the moon or something during the 1950s with one of their crazy project.

Other poster: "Why would they want that to happen?"

Me: "Funnily enough the President asking that very question is what got the project shut down."

There does seem to be a *lot* of stuff from the World Wars and Cold War that was basically "We can do this! Lets do this!" and no one at any point really asking why they would want to do this or what the actual practicality of the project was. Its just brainy people used to a shoestring and a dusty office in the back of some institute being handed budget and having mere mortals asking them their opinions for a change.

Good point - and I didn't even get into the issue of delivery system alternatives - in how many timelines is the first battle-use of an atomic weapon an air-dropped bomb, versus a rocket-warhead, versus sea-mine?

It was usually assumed that an atomic bomb would have to be deployed by a ship or submarine and there are still concerns about nuclear bombs being smuggled in through ports.

This is a very interesting question and one where, I feel, we run into the limits of plausibility and will never know the answer. (I suppose a really good AI simulation of the 20th century might provide insights one day).

I have always had a sneaking suspicion that OTL is an outlier and many timelines would never build nuclear weapons at all. This generally goes against the AH orthodoxy on the subject. The OP mentions the need for progress in theoretical physics to know nuclear weapons are possible, which is a valid point. It's also worth noting that the idea of 'atomic weapons' was discussed quite early on, e.g. by H. G. Wells, in the broad definition of 'a weapon that involves converting matter to energy, unlocking the hidden energy of the atom, etc.' but without any awareness of how this might be possible. (For example, E. E. "Doc" Smith's "The Skylark of Space" from the 1910s has a spacecraft powered by 'atomic power', but the nuclear material is copper and the reaction is unlocked by a fictitious metal catalyst 'X').

However, I further think it'd be perfectly possible to have timelines - lots and lots of timelines - where theoretical physics is at least halfway certain a nuclear bomb is possible and roughly how to build one (i.e. basically the knowledge the US, France and Britain had in 1939) yet one simply never gets built. This may seem weird to us now, but remember just how much in the way of money and resources the Manhattan Project required to get to a bomb and how everything fell into place: a war against powers run by madmen seeking world domination, a project pushed by brilliant scientists who had fled persecution from those powers and feared them winning, a wealthy USA whose heartland was far from the conflict and could afford to spend money on a blue-skies, far-fetched weapons project. Once it was done once, it was relatively easy for others to copy (especially thanks to Soviet spies, of course) but getting to that first one could have failed at a dozen points. The USA could easily have been run by politicians unwilling to invest tax dollars in such a far-fetched idea - in fact historically it seems more likely than not. When the Bomb was produced in OTL, many feared that it might start a runaway chain reaction that'd ignite the atmosphere, and the move to go ahead with the Trinity Test was partly driven by paranoia that the Nazis might get there first. And so on.

What goes against this idea is the fact that so many powers were working on nuclear weapon projects during WW2. But given, just a few years earlier, disarmament had been doctrine in most Western powers, and it'd be hard to cover up a full-scale nuclear project in peacetime...I don't know, I can just picture a timeline where "did you know, it's theoretically possible to build a weapon that could destroy a whole city at once, but it'd cost billions and research is banned by the treaty of such-and-such" could be one of those obscure "we could have done this, but in hindsight it's unthinkable" facts like Project Orion or the Morgenthau Plan or something.

The atomic program was actually quite inexpensive even by the standards of other World War II programs. Both the B-29 program and the German rocket program were more expensive than the Manhattan Project.

The latter part is an interesting question. There are probably TLs with fission reactors but not nuclear bombs, but in those ones the reactors are probably seen as a hazardous curiosity rather than a realistic way of producing power on a mass scale.

The United States Atomic Energy Commission thought that commercial nuclear power wouldn't happen until around 1980. The timeline was actually moved up at the insistence of the National Security Council once it found out about European and Soviet developments in nuclear energy. A major commercialization drive was spearheaded by the United States to encourage domestic and international use of American nuclear technology, but even then nuclear energy produced only around one percent of the electricity consumed in the United States by 1970. The Soviet Union was a latecomer to widely fielding nuclear energy too, with Leningrad 1 only coming online in 1974, and that was an RBMK design too.

The nuclear industry wasn't really entering its upswing until around the time of the energy crises, at which point there wasn't much need for new electricity generation. High inflation, high interest rates, and issues with keeping to timetables made nuclear power plants not very competitive with options that could be built more quickly and at lower cost.

Also, our timeline might actually be more conservative in terms of nuclear safety. People are a lot more strict on nuclear pollution than on pollution from other sources such as other types of power production, food additives, automobile pollution, indoor air pollution from heating and cooking, etc. The only reason why it is even possible to regulate nuclear pollution to the extent that it is done is because it is so rare. In many cases you can trace it back to a specific source, which isn't something you can do with most other industries. For decades you even had the lead industry convincing people that lead pollution was natural and had nothing to do with adding TEL to automobile fuel, and interestingly the research proving that wasn't the case was partially funded by the United States Atomic Energy Commission.

Another point to bear in mind is that being able to obtain uranium is not a given, depending on who controlled a few relatively small parts of the world

The interesting thing about the breeder reactor concept is that it was actually developed during the Manhattan Project as a means of maximizing the number of nuclear bombs that could be built using what were thought to be very limited uranium reserves. People didn't really start to think about breeder reactors in terms of maximizing energy production until the 1960s. The issue for breeder reactor research is that prospectors just kept finding more and more uranium. It's even in seawater.

Uranium is actually far more common than most people think, including energy experts prior to the energy crises. That's why research on breeder reactors has slowed down greatly since the 1970s.

Back